• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original BMW carpet

peter kovacs

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2020 at 2:17 PM, peter kovacs said:

Hi,

I'm looking for a genuine molded carpet in new or very good condition, in black or charcole variant (3 pedal holes )  

Peter

I don’t believe there was an overall black carpet offered by the factory. Square taillights with black interiors received a dark gray/light gray (mis-called “salt-and-pepper”) carpet, square taillights with dark blue interiors received a dark blue/medium blue carpet, and square taillights with tan interiors received a brown/tan carpet. But all were multi-tone.

This said, I — once in a blue moon — see original one-piece square taillight carpets. But rarely are they in any better than poor-to-fair condition. The quality of the materials was really sub-standard. I bought my ‘76 new and by the early ‘80’s, I was considering replacing the original carpet: it was dirty and fading. Fortunately — given the course of ‘02 history — I had other ways to spend my money and the car retains its original carpet today, professionally cleaned and repaired by our local oriental carpet shop.

If I couldn’t re-use my ‘76’s original carpeting, I was planning to go to one of @esty’s multi-piece carpets, but ask her to do it (a.) in a carpet as close to possible as the original carpet weave and color, and (b.) using a binding (since that’s what really distinguished the one-piece from the multi-piece carpets) that was as neutral and as un-noticeable as possible. This would provide an overall appearance of the one-piece carpeting without resorting to the few miserable options available in aftermarket one-piece carpets.

Just my two cents!

Below, my ‘76’s carpet, out of the car, before cleaning and repairs, dated April 12, 1976, and re-installed.

Good luck,

Steve

1705BD0E-94B3-4EDF-9072-9B55FA0633F9.jpeg

395750E4-CF17-4FED-A059-CE036EE8C28F.jpeg

D00A101E-A24C-4124-A71E-4D57F40E0908.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)