• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New wheels, big problem? Help?

It may just be my pore ole eyesight, but it looks as if Steve's car  has a differently-shaped trailing end of the wheel arch lip in his pictures.  Look at the rearward-flowing taper on albatcha's car picture, then compare it with Steve's, which ends abruptly, almost vertical--no rearward taper.  It also appears that the trailing edge of the quarter panel (from wheel opening to the car's rear) has been trimmed a bit and is actually shorter than originally made. 

Steve, take some measurements of the wheelbase on both sides (wheel center to wheel center); matching numbers will rule out a bent subframe or tweaked body shell causing the subframe to sit slightly crooked.  Then measure horizontally from the hole in the rear quarter where the bumper end attaches up to the wheel arch opening at the same height; do this on both sides.  That'll tell you if a PO cut the openings and let in the new lips differently.    

If both sides measure the same, then you know the car isn't tweaked, and it'll be up to you to decide whether you like the wheel arches as they are...

mike

Edited by mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

13 hours ago, NotCoolSteve said:

jgerock.. yes it spent quite a few years on jack stands, I might even say that the rear stands were on the axle itself? Now that i typed it.. I'm worried.

My concern is if a diff housing wasn’t in place during the long term storage, the subframe could twist (angle downward at the rear) and distort the subframe mounting bushings.  

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Jim, you might be onto something-

if the rear subframe rolls a bit, then the trailing arms

will move around a lot. 

But, Steve, if you reinstall the diff, that will put things back into alignment, no matter the 

bushings.

If sitting on jackstands has permanently deformed the shell, then you'll be able to put your hand

through the rocker panels, etc.  The shell is pretty darned stout, left to its own devices.

I think you're structurally OK- the only soggy part of a 2002 is the trunk.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

21 hours ago, TobyB said:

Jim, you might be onto something-

if the rear subframe rolls a bit, then the trailing arms

will move around a lot. 

But, Steve, if you reinstall the diff, that will put things back into alignment, no matter the 

bushings.

If sitting on jackstands has permanently deformed the shell, then you'll be able to put your hand

through the rocker panels, etc.  The shell is pretty darned stout, left to its own devices.

I think you're structurally OK- the only soggy part of a 2002 is the trunk.

t

Credit for this potential Issue goes to @mlytle. He pointed it out to me while I installed a temporary set of subframes on my 69 for bodywork.

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Jim's line of thinking makes sense, it was repeatedly stated that the car was fine before going onto stands for long term storage...

Or the bushing got deformed from being smashed weird for so long- something like that.  Just seems to make sense.

Oh, and the wheels do look good.  What are they?

Edit, found 'em...  Sparco FF 1

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=W29075501LG&wheelMake=Sparco&wheelModel=FF-1&wheelFinish=Light+Grey+Painted&showRear=no&autoMake=BMW&autoModel=2002&autoYear=1976&autoModClar=

Edited by irdave

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.