• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about debris on engine side of fan blades

My ‘74 (which has only been back on the road since last Fall) runs hot, as shown in the first photo.  Lately, it has been creeping hotter, borderline red, while the lower radiator hose remains cold.  I have a new thermostat and alternator belt from Blunt  to install, but I notice this debris on the fan blades.  I know it is recent, looking at photos of my engine bay. It is not oil, more of a powder.   I am wondering  it is a sign of something disintegrating,  but  cannot figure out what.  Possibly the belt, but I wouldn’t think it would wind up on the fan.  The radiator has recently been recored.   Any thoughts are appreciated.

B3D92650-8FB5-4961-A12F-A01F7683EE43.jpeg

4DC64806-531C-4AE3-91F0-765F0BBABBDC.jpeg

97910990-6658-4AC3-8612-1FD9D5A35EB1.jpeg

Um, "they all do that".

IIRC from the "dinosaur days" working in a shop that the '74s had a fan shroud and a popular installment was to use the "tropical" fan which is larger in diameter.

You didn't say if the fins in the front of the radiator are clear of debris nor if you flushed the system recently.

In an emergency, you can open up the heater valve and that will bring down the temp, albeit creating a dry sauna in the cab. That is what wind wings are for! Or for keeping your Philly Cheesteak warm.......

• Like 1

while the lower radiator hose remains cold.

replace that thermostat, then.  

If that doesn't do it, pull off the water pump and inspect it.

The debris on the fan says 'make sure your fan belt is tight, and the alternator's aligned properly'

hth,

t

• Like 5

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

38 minutes ago, TobyB said:

while the lower radiator hose remains cold.

replace that thermostat, then.  

+ 1...after you've made sure your temp gauge is accurate, then remove the 'stat and test for proper opening by suspending by a string it in a pan of water with a thermometer, and heating it on a stove to see if it opens at the proper temperature.  With your temp gauge needle above the 3 o'clock position, you should at least have a full flow through the radiator...and thus a hot lower hose

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 hour ago, TobyB said:

The debris on the fan says 'make sure your fan belt is tight, and the alternator's aligned properly'

+1 on that.  Check the alternator bushings and the bushings for the lower support arm on the alternator too

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

I chased a similar issue on my 74' for quite some time.  After replacing the alternator bushings, thermostat and water pump, it ended up being the radiator.    

Installed a high capacity rad from Blunt and now I run at 3:00 or below, even after spirited driving. 

Might be worth it to pull the rad and water pump and work backwards from there.    

Engine bay OCD is a real problem

@02carbs 

6 hours ago, jgerock said:

I’m I right.. the upper radiator hose is stamped December 1981??

I don’t know, Jim. If it’s European-made — and I’ll bet it is — it’s November 12, 1981! 

Good eye!

(@bluehills2002, I think you need to refresh the entire cooling system. You’re living on borrowed time!)

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

15 hours ago, Leucadian said:

I chased a similar issue on my 74' for quite some time.  After replacing the alternator bushings, thermostat and water pump, it ended up being the radiator.    

Installed a high capacity rad from Blunt and now I run at 3:00 or below, even after spirited driving. 

Might be worth it to pull the rad and water pump and work backwards from there.    

Your symptoms were different, because:

while the lower radiator hose remains cold.  ...  The radiator has recently been recored. 

OP has a good radiator.

t

troubleshooting, not shotgunning

• Haha 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL