• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1602 kidney grille

camperman

53 minutes ago, camperman said:

I need an alloy 1602 kidney grill for the 69-77 car (8 slats, all silver not black) let me know what you have.

First, ‘66 through ‘73 model years (round taillight cars) share the same-sized anodized-aluminum center grilles; the grilles of ‘74 through ‘77 model years (square taillight cars) had different overall dimensions and mounting points, rendering them not interchangeable with the ‘66 through ‘73 grilles.

Second, only the 1600-2 (later name-changed to 1602) used the “all silver” grilles, whereas the 2002 had black slats. But I believe 1600-2/1602 production was only from 1966 through 1971(?).

Third, 1966 and 1967 model 1600-2’s used a ten-slat version — today quite rare — of the round taillight grille.

Thus, I’m surmising that you’re looking for a 1968 through 1971 1600-2/1602 center grille.

By now, however, since new replacement grilles have been available off and on for 50 years, and all round taillight center grilles are interchangeable from an overall fit perspective, your optimal grille might be coming off of any round taillight car — or even a square taillight car with a round taillight nose transplant!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

On 5/3/2020 at 1:39 PM, Conserv said:

First, ‘66 through ‘73 model years (round taillight cars) share the same-sized anodized-aluminum center grilles; the grilles of ‘74 through ‘77 model years (square taillight cars) had different overall dimensions and mounting points, rendering them not interchangeable with the ‘66 through ‘73 grilles.

Second, only the 1600-2 (later name-changed to 1602) used the “all silver” grilles, whereas the 2002 had black slats. But I believe 1600-2/1602 production was only from 1966 through 1971(?).

Third, 1966 and 1967 model 1600-2’s used a ten-slat version — today quite rare — of the round taillight grille.

Thus, I’m surmising that you’re looking for a 1968 through 1971 1600-2/1602 center grille.

By now, however, since new replacement grilles have been available off and on for 50 years, and all round taillight center grilles are interchangeable from an overall fit perspective, your optimal grille might be coming off of any round taillight car — or even a square taillight car with a round taillight nose transplant!

Regards,

Steve

On a second note are you officially das original polizei now? I feel the mantle has passed. Plus I think this forum really needs an "originality" page. You could police that I'm sure... ?

PS just requested an originality sub forum for you to moderate! No need to thank me!

Edited by camperman
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, camperman said:

On a second note are you officially das original polizei now? I feel the mantle has passed. Plus I think this forum really needs an "originality" page. You could police that I'm sure... ?

PS just requested an originality sub forum for you to moderate! No need to thank me!

Thanks, but no thanks, I get into enough trouble already! We have more qualified members to carry the mantle! ?

But I do thank you!

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Haha 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)