• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Color Change

8 minutes ago, Conserv said:

This is actually a photo of some stranger driving off in Jim’s car. The car was returned later by the apologetic “thief” who mistook Jim’s ‘69 Riviera for his own silver Kia....

Sad story, happy ending... ???

Regards,

Steve

Clearly, someone who had access to a barbershop before lockdown?

• Haha 2

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

It's a late model square tail light car, do what you want to with it. I would argue against a color change if it was an early 1600/2002 or a ti/tii.  Don't listen to me since I repainted my Sahara tii, Sahara. 

• Like 1

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

8 hours ago, Henning said:

Avoid riviera.

It's not blue, it's one of the grey-tones besides Polaris. You'll have difficulties in finding your car on the parking lot when coming out of the store. Riviera chameleonates, maybe I've mentioned this already...

hen

Wait... Hen,

Don't you own a Riviera '02? Trying to increase that "rarity premium"?

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

There are some FANTASTIC greys out there right now- DO IT!

My only advice would be to then keep as much silver 'chrome' as you can-

a grey 2002 with all the stock chrome is going to look great, but de- chromed,

you're going to have Jim's Kia problem all day long.

As to cutting the shell-  I agree with EVERYONE else who says, "It's your car".

If you're not going to feel good about it, don't do it.  If you do a good job with no

philosophical reservations and love it afterwards, why not?

Personally, I wouldn't flare a clean shell at this point.  I would have, 15 years ago,

when shells were still 'Thanks for getting this out of the weeds for me!!!'

t

If you're happy with it, it's right.

• Like 6

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

16 hours ago, irdave said:

It's the least desirable year

In California and any other State that still does emission testing on a 1976.

I am in basically the same boat as Boba Fett 76 on the color change issue.  Should I keep the original Nevada color on my 1970 1600 project, or paint it something with more pop.  After eliminating Nevada (olive brown aka moldy dirt, sorry Nevada owners) My first decision was period correct paint (A 1970 paint color, something in the 2002 family, something in the BMW family or something outside BMW). My second consideration was interior color.  The Nevada car had a pretty nice Saddle/Black interior and I have a new World Upholstery Tan carpet from a earlier project.  The car was never going to be a period correct restoration, original motor, trans, seats gone, suspension upgrades started, side marker lights deleted, etc, so this car will be my swan song, ultimate sleeper, stockish looking on the outside, performance upgraded everywhere else.  With the Saddle interior, period correct paint would be Malaga, Nevada, Sahara, and the Greens, Agave, Tundra and Florida, and you could do blues, Riviera, Atlantic, Night Blue, maybe even greys, Bristol, Derby.  I wanted a lighter color to accent the lines and a metallic to make it pop (like Polaris, but a better fit for Saddle). I wanted to stay in the BMW 2002 family, but a color that you would not consider common.  So I am leaning towards a uncommon metallic green, in the BMW 2002 family of greens, on the lighter side, and not Tiaga.  Can you guess it?

Bottomline @Boba Fett 76, there are lots of considerations to color on a BMW 2002.  As others have stated, any color you pick won't effect the resale value as long as it was properly applied.  Pick the one that makes you happy.  That Catalano Grey looks great, a modern twist somewhere between Bristol and Derby.  Reminds me of China Grey a Porsche/Aston Martin color.

IMHO

Mark92131

china-grey-porsche-911-gt3-rs-is-real-borrows-aston-martin-color-119830_1.jpg

• Like 1

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

45 minutes ago, Mark92131 said:

So I am leaning towards a uncommon metallic green, in the BMW 2002 family of greens, on the lighter side, and not Tiaga.  Can you guess it?

Bottomline @Boba Fett 76, there are lots of considerations to color on a BMW 2002.  As others have stated, any color you pick won't effect the resale value as long as it was properly applied.  Pick the one that makes you happy.  That Catalano Grey looks great, a modern twist somewhere between Bristol and Derby.  Reminds me of China Grey a Porsche/Aston Martin color.

IMHO

Mark92131

china-grey-porsche-911-gt3-rs-is-real-borrows-aston-martin-color-119830_1.jpg

I hope it’s java green

2 minutes ago, Mark92131 said:

Wow, but no, not in the BMW 2002 family of color choices.

Mark92131

oh I missed the 2002 part. Mintgrün? I guess that’s not really metallic. I have no idea. 

Edited by Mike G
Edit

12 hours ago, Conserv said:

Wait... Hen,

Don't you own a Riviera '02? Trying to increase that "rarity premium"?

Best regards,

Steve

Yess. That's why I know what I'm talking about. No value increase expected even if there are just few rivieras here...

hen

• Haha 1

Hey All,

I really appreciate all of the feedback.   Most of you have said what i was thinking, I was just wondering if a period correct color could redeem the title, but it sounds like no.  Such a shame cause its a nice straight car.    Unfortunately for now I think the flare's will have to wait but I feel much better about going grey.  I am a purist at heart but the beauty of this car was that I could break some of the rules.  So, here goes....

BTW anybody know someone competent at installing MK1 flares near the midwest? I know some good welders but I am sure there is a lot more to it than that.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Boba Fett 76 said:

BTW anybody know someone competent at installing MK1 flares near the midwest? I know some good welders but I am sure there is a lot more to it than that.  

Might ask this guy... @VWJake He might know someone that's good at these kinds of things...

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

Gordon,

I wasn't sure if your comment about looking at the data base was for me or Mark 92131.   If it was for me then yes, I exhausted it.  I love a lot of 02 colors, I just felt like they should have continued the Derby line of blue grey for the 02's and none of the period correct colors really scratched that itch for me.  I guess if I were you Mark 92131, I would go with Derby! but it sounds like you already have your color picked.  

I also love these cars in black also but wonder how hot they get without ac.