• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rocker / sill trim clip + installation

oz_tom

Hi All,

I've gone through the archives and deduced that the original design 02 plastic clips for the lower sill (SS) trim are now NLA. The design has been updated to an e21 design and as a result, some have noticed issues when mounting their trim (either clips not mounting in the body/sill and falling out or not clipping into the trim and the trim popping off, or both).

I've been wrangling with the W&N kit to make it work (and will keep trying), however in my search i noticed that there was an aftermarket supplier of the original design clips:

https://www.autobodysupply.net/product-p/w-e2303.htm

Edit: Also just found this mob in Germany too: https://shopware.bmw-oldtimerteile.de/fahrzeugtypen/e10-1502-2002-tii-turbo-touring-cabrio/51-fahrzeugausstattung/stossleisten/77/clip-schwellerleiste/02-serie-original

Has anyone used these before (and can provide a comparison as far as usability between these and the 'new' OE design)? 

Also keen to make sure the company are reputable.

Many thanks,

Tom

Edit August 2022: Thought i'd update this thread as it looks like the black clips are being re-produced by MvP. My local supplier was able to get them so I suspect they will be available through the major '02 retailers soon. Great news!

Edited by oz_tom
August 2022 update

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

My car didn't have the rocker trim on it when I bought it, it was in the car as well as some unused white clips. Is there a way to distinguish between the clips that work and those that are marginal? I don't want to futz with the flaky clips, but don't especially want to buy new ones not knowing if what I have might be fine. 

Koboldtopf - '67 1600-2

Einhorn - '74 tii

45 minutes ago, BarrettN said:

My car didn't have the rocker trim on it when I bought it, it was in the car as well as some unused white clips. Is there a way to distinguish between the clips that work and those that are marginal? I don't want to futz with the flaky clips, but don't especially want to buy new ones not knowing if what I have might be fine. 

They are easy to tell apart because the design is totally different.

These are the original design and work well (i managed to find some old clips albeit not enough, and you can hear a nice 'click' when they go into place in the sill, or into the sill trim)

https://shopware.bmw-oldtimerteile.de/fahrzeugtypen/e10-1502-2002-tii-turbo-touring-cabrio/51-fahrzeugausstattung/stossleisten/77/clip-schwellerleiste/02-serie-original

These are the 'new' design which i didn't have much luck with. Note they are slightly different to the knee line trim version.

https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/plastic-clip-for-sill-trim.html

Edited by oz_tom

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

11 hours ago, BarrettN said:

2303s - A 25 pack for $16 incl shipping won't break the bank, and you'll have enough left over to do another car.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

anyone know where to get the original rocker trim clips in the US...i ordered what i thought was correct but those led me here, i found searching that the white clips i got are not 100% correct...i cannot get all of them to snap in the trim and those that do fall off when moving to the next one

clips.JPG

Dang! Hopefully they are not out too. The site was a little tricky and I used the exact link…still see them here. I hit the PayPal button and was done!

https://shopware.bmw-oldtimerteile.de/fahrzeugtypen/e10-1502-2002-tii-turbo-touring-cabrio/51-fahrzeugausstattung/stossleisten/77/clip-schwellerleiste/02-serie-original

Edited by Highnote1

Dang. I will tell you it took me a bunch of tries on my phone and then it finally worked on my laptop. I have no idea why…I would add them to cart and then when I would switch to English language…they would disappear. Luckily I speak some German. 

But….they could be out too!