• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New replacement door cards from WN?

https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/set-of-door-panels-black-left-and-right-side-for-all-models-up-to-1973-aftermarket-not-original-bmw-51-41-00.html

Just came across these this AM. Anyone bought them and can comment on fit and quality? They are relatively inexpensive and I wonder if it's a 'you get what you pay for' type of thing. 

Edited by Teelinger

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo (sold)
1973 Mintgrun 2002 "Kermit" (sold)

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"

1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Weekender "Otto Van Gonzo"

Multiple parties have said they are manufactured by the same subcontractor that produces the BMW OEM versions. I know nothing more.

But the W&N versions appear to be continuously available, while the BMW versions arrive in small batches and disappear as quickly as they came. Is this simply a function of BMW having so many people on their waiting list? Again, I don’t know.

I have a pair of the OEM versions and the quality is quite good — save for the absence of punch-outs in the vinyl for window cranks, door handles, etc. @shermanmartinez pointed this out recently, noting that the backing cards have been cut for the cranks, etc.

Someone pointed out the other day that the pricing of the OEM version is more than competitive with the W&N version. But then... OEM supplies are uneven!

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Interested to hear how they work for you.  Nice that it appears that they include the upper metal piece too.  I ordered new originals from BMW a few years back and they didn't come with the upper metal pieces which are NLA.  

Edited by JohnS

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

1 minute ago, JohnS said:

...they didn't come with the upper metal pieces which are NLA.  

John,

Are you referring to the chrome trim that distinguishes round taillight door cards from square taillight cards? If so, BMW was offering square taillight door cards quite a few years ago, but has only in more recent years, I believe, offered round taillight door cards.

Best regards,

Steve

8 minutes ago, Conserv said:

John,

Are you referring to the chrome trim that distinguishes round taillight door cards from square taillight cards? If so, BMW was offering square taillight door cards quite a few years ago, but has only in more recent years, I believe, offered round taillight door cards.

Best regards,

Steve

No, I wasn't talking about the difference between the round and square taillight door cards.  I was talking about the upper metal (aluminum) pieces that are attached by clips at the top of each door card.  The pictures on the W&N site show that piece attached, so I assume you get them when you order a set from W&N.  I ordered round tail-light black door cards for my 73tii a few years ago from BMW and all you got was the door card, no clips, no upper metal pieces.  I had to re-use my originals.  These pieces are often bent and/or pitted out on many of the cars I've seen.  Would love to be able to get new ones.

Edited by JohnS
  • Thanks 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

6 minutes ago, JohnS said:

No, I wasn't talking about the difference between the round and square taillight door cards.  I was talking about the upper metal (aluminum) pieces that are attached by clips at the top of each door card.  The pictures on the W&N site show that piece attached, so I assume you get them when you order a set from W&N.  I ordered round tail-light black door cards for my 73tii a few years ago from BMW and all you got was the door card, no clips, no upper metal pieces.

Got it, John!

Thanks. But that leaves me wondering why W&N provides that piece when BMW does not — if they are produced by the same contractor. And if they’re not, my comments on the BMW versions are worth nothing when it comes to the W&N versions. ?

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

18 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Someone pointed out the other day that the pricing of the OEM version is more than competitive with the W&N version

The BMW prices are almost four times what the W&N price is.  The W&N listing is for both panels @ $235.  A single early OEM panel is about $430.

• Like 2

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

1 hour ago, halboyles said:

The BMW prices are almost four times what the W&N price is.  The W&N listing is for both panels @ $235.  A single early OEM panel is about $430.

Hal,

Sorry, I was working from the following recent thread, which pegged the W&N door car at $408 (without VAT) and an OEM door card at $387. Things must have changed since last week!

Best regards,

Steve

Oh, I see: $408 (without VAT) remains the W&N price for a single OEM door card, but they also have aftermarket versions for $235 per pair (photo below).

FE428C43-526D-4838-BB16-CDE19B5307A1.png

Edited by Conserv

Dear Peter,

the look nice but as you see on the pictures there are some minor differences.

Best regards
Alexander Nesch

Dipl. Ing. Albrecht Walloth u. Alexander Nesch GbR
im Ohl 69
D-59757 Arnsberg
Phone: +49 (0) 2932 - 900 4519
Fax: +49 (0) 2932 - 900 4579
Internet: www.wallothnesch.com

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Walloth u.Nesch GbR <customerservice@wallothnesch.com>
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 22. April 2020 21:22
An: Customerservice - wallothnesch.com <customerservice@wallothnesch.com>
Betreff: Contact Form

Name: Peter Lock
Telephone:

Comment: Hi, how you doing
The aftermarket 2002 up to 73 door cards, are they any good in comparison to OEM, I'm interested in a pair of black ones.
Regards
Peter

I asked about these also, see reply.

Already sold out?

Last time this happened, they would push the date back by 2 months every 2 months for 3 years. 

91088DF3-4255-4B4C-A053-9424B91FCBDD.png

Edited by tomphot

'72 2002Tii Inka   2760698
'65 Porsche 356SC