• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Touring History mystery

02Les

Pictured below is a Glas 1304 CL which has been rumoured to be the inspiration for BMWs 1st gen Touring.

Now, searching the internet a while back, I found an article picturing a couple of mystery Tourings. The magazine article, dated Dec ’69, shows a GLAS 1304 that is for all intents and purposes a Touring, complete with swan neck mirror, early bumpers and no knee trim. It also has a Dingolfing, Germany licence plate (where Hans Glas GmbH is/was located).

The other has a Munich plate, also early bumpers, no knee trim but with a trap mirror.

Whilst my German is lacking somewhat, the article appears to suggest this Touring was designed in cohorts with Bertone. As far as I know, Michelotti, named as designer for the Touring, never worked for Bertone.

So, anyone have any insight to the history of this Glas Touring that became the 1600/1800/2000 Touring a few years later?

EDIT: TRIED TO SORT OUT THE ORDER OF THE PICTURES...……..IT WON'T LET ME!

Glas-1304-CL-03.jpg

Glas-1304-CL-04.jpg

Glas-Touring-1304-01.jpg

Glas-Touring-1304-02-551x1024.jpg

Glas-1304-CL-03.jpg

Glas-1304-CL-04.jpg

Edited by 02Les

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Most interesting...the third and fourth pictures you show is obviously an '02 Touring body with a Glas grille and logo.  Note the round bumps on the hood and wheel cover centers that should have BMW roundels in em.  In the 4th picture showing another "Glas" Touring (apparently a different car, different license plates) the rear view shows a Glas emblem and "1304" badge.  That car (license DGF-H-158) has a swan neck mirror, but the car in the third picture (license MP-E-1437) has a trapezoid mirror--built later?  Wonder if BMW contemplated a less expensive brand to complement BMW using the Glas nameplate.   

mike

Edited by mike
  • Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

All my knowledge of the Glas acquisition by BMW was that they needed the production space and basically used up parts until they could change the line over.  There were a couple “GMWs” that we’re all aware of, the 1600GT and the 3000 V8 coupe, but that was it as far as I know. My speculation is that the 02 tourings with Glas badging was simply an early version of camouflage. I’m sure these were preproduction cars that were being tested. Hatchbacks have always been popular in Germany, and I don’t really think the Glas 1304 had any real influence on the touring. As you said Les, the touring was designed by michelotti. I might be wrong, but I think the link is just too thin. 

1972 "Canadian spec" Polaris 2000tii Touring

1969 Chamonix 2000 A

41 minutes ago, tiitouring02 said:

My speculation is that the 02 tourings with Glas badging was simply an early version of camouflage. I’m sure these were preproduction cars that were being tested.

Excellent supposition and it makes sense--although the "camoflage" isn't very effective--it would be kinda like LeBron James wearing a mask and trying to pass incognito...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite