• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

e21 head/cam with early distributor(1973)

Luke's02

Help! I have a 1973 distributor from my original engine which and I intended on using for my replacement engine. The problem is this new engine has a 1984 head which has high compression piano top pistons mated to a 1974 engine block. From my previous research they say that the distributor/camshaft in the 1980-1984 models of M10 to turn in the opposite direction, thus making the original distributor unusable. I just want to confirm if anybody has had this issue before, what the reason being would be because it does not make a lot of sense. Why would bmw do this? Anyways if that is the case I am looking for a 1980-1984 distributor off an e21 if anyone has one lying around. Any help would be appreciated!

Here is a couple photos of the cam and engine

IMG_2926.JPGIMG_2928.JPG

Edited by Luke's02

Take your 73 dist and hold it up to the cam gear do the teeth match if they match you have a early cam if not you'll need a later dist or a new cam. 

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Yes, your E12 head was cast in 1984.

But it's a head for a 2002.  Since the E12 was never used in the E21.

If you mentally mate the 2002 distributor (below) to your engine (also below)

you'll see that you might just be able to use that '73 dizzy...

t

e12.jpg

2002 dist.jpg

• Like 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

The other giveaway that your head isn't from an E21 is the blanked off mechanical fuel pump mount.  All E21s sold in the US had EFI so no mechanical pump and no need to blank off a blanked off mount.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

That distributor looks very much like one I bought from IE. It was a dud right out of the box, but having had it for 6 months before finding out, it was trashed canned.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17