• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another 13" tire option

Gordon

4 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Coker, too. Are they owned by Tire Rack (or ECS? ?)

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/vredestein-sprint-classic-narrow-tread.html

No such mention on Vredestein's website, at least not anywhere conspicuous on the tire info page. Maybe it's just Tire Rack being weasels.

Hey, Jimmy,

Here’s my fact-free wild-ass guess as to what’s going on:

The manufacturers’ warranties include a broad statement — to protect themselves from warranty claims — that says something to the following effect, “The warranty does not apply if the tire is improperly operated or stored”. “Improper operation and storage“ are not therein defined. That’s intentional, not an oversight. But, in fact, the manufacturers have certain procedural guidance — again, designed to protect themselves — that define improper operation and storage, quite broadly, of course, for the “warranty stewards.” This is so every warranty claim does not become simply a coin toss. The document defining what is improper is procedural and possibly only released, or not even released, on a “need-to-know” basis.

My suspicion is that large tire dealers, such as Tire Rack and Coker — I believe both are distributors in addition to being retailers — have had to “make right” on too many warranty claims, not wishing to sully their own brand names after the manufacturers said “pound sand! I suspect there is an abundance of caution, on the part of the manufacturers, embedded in those “cold weather warnings” that Tire Rack and Coker have leaked to us. How many U.S. customers, for instance, could entirely avoid the cold weather warnings published by Tire Rack?

Katherine and I lived in Atlanta for nine years and our summer tires would probably have been denied any claims on account of the Vredestein language even in that climate: we hit 13 degrees one day, and yet Katherine continued to drive her snow-tire-less VW with Michelin Pilots. We would have acted similarly even if those Michelin’s were Vredestein’s!

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

• 4 months later...

Chapter 3...

Found a set of CMR R1-561s. 6x13 ET 30 which match the ATSs. Had to find those wheels because there was a new set of unused 205/60 13s in my crawlspace - from an earlier failed experiment. Anyhow, after straightening and powder-coating the CMRs, put them on the car. Figured the fitting issue was a no brainer since the dimensions of the CMRs matched the ATS wheels. Damn if the driver side didn't rub. I do weigh 200 lbs and only the left side rubbed but it disappointed nonetheless. 

Fortunately, these wheels are not meant for the Tundra car pictured earlier so will experiment rolling the fenders on the intended car. As Steve said, "Maybe" Check back next spring as soon it will be hibernation mode here in the midwest.

Edited by RFord888
grammar
  • Sad 1

'72 2002 Tundra/Saddle,

'72 2002tii Ceylon/Black 

'89 325is Alpine White/Sand - 88 535is Royal Blau Gray Leather M Cloth

I've been mostly running 205/60 x 13 Tires on 13" x 5 1/2" wheels ET19. I didn't roll the fender lips front or rear. The springs on my pictured car are supposedly H & R old school, but my other car has ST springs which are more solid and better in my opinion. The rear was too droopy and I compensated with 3 dot spring perch pads. Shocks are Bilstein HD. The trick up front to guarantee no rubbing was to add -1/2 degree camber plates. The camber plates also add a little caster, making the car more stable at higher speeds.They are 3/8" thick and add that much additional tire clearance.The tires don't rub without the camber plates, but they fit much better under the fender with them in place. Sway bars are ST 22mm front, 19mm rear.

I purchased these Dunlop tires over e-bay for a little over $300 / set. I'm happy with them as they offer a good balance between comfort and handling, However, they came with raised white letters on the outside sidewall, so I just used a black oil marker over the white letters. The shiny ink fades after a couple of days in the elements.

I believe my previous Federals in the same size were superior in hard cornering. The Federals have a stiffer sidewall and are used in the Sprint Car racing series. They are not dedicated traditional race tires, but were developed specifically for this series of racing. So, they are a type of touring and racing tire that doesn’t wear out fast. You can still find the Federal SS595 tires on e-bay for less than $300 / set, shipping included. They are probably the best deal out there. But, they are pretty stiff, something you need if you’re into canyon carving. I will order a set of these, as they are not always readily available, but rather manufactured in batches. It’s just that they have an ultra modern tread design, if that doesn’t bother you.

Dunlop 2.jpg

IMG_1784.JPG

IMG_1773.JPG

IMG_1782.jpg

IMG_1773.JPG

IMG_1783.JPG

IMG_1774.JPG

Edited by Slavs
  • Like 3