• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headlight and Bucket upgrade

Epic

Hi Folks. Im sure that headlights have been discussed at nauseam here but I cannot for the life of me find out the answer to a question that I have. Likely that I am not searching for the correct words and terminology either.

I have a 68 2002 RHD so presumably Euro spec. I removed the headlight buckets to replace the light itself but the reflector and lense were separate pieces to what I have to replace it with.

In the picture below you will see from left to right, the reflector, the new headlight assembly, and the bucket. I was expecting a straight swap out!

Can this be done? If so I assume that i will need a rubber seal at the front and some modifications to the bucket to somehow affix the new headlight to the bucket.

Image 24-5-20 at 8.13 pm.jpeg

Edited by Epic
poor photo

Is your replacement headllight a reflector/lens assembly with a separately replaceable bulb--like a US sealed beam but the bulb can be replaced.  If that's what you have, you're gonna need headlight buckets that are meant for the US/Canadian market that are equipped to accept US sealed beams. 

Check realoem.com and you'll see that the Euro headlight buckets are completely different from the US style; they bolt bolt up to the car the same so are interchangeable as a complete unit, but you can put sealed beams into a Euro bucket, and vice versa.  Look at the illustrations in the factory parts book on pg 63-5 through 8--those are the Euro buckets.  Then look at 63-9--that's the US bucket that accepts sealed beams and the European headlights where the lens and reflector come as one piece.  Those part numbers are 63 12 1 358 065 and 066 (they're handed).

Bet you can find someone on the FAQ with a pair they'd be willing to send you.

mike

• Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I went down this rabbit hole when I brought my RHD Touring over to the US. 

You can't put (install) a sealed beam headlight into a Euro style bucket.

For LHD cars, BMW had both Hella & Bosch supply the headlamps, but, you couldn't swap the reflectors from one to the other as the adjustment parts were different. Also, for LHD you had the choice of H4 or bilux, and, again parts were different between Hella & Bosch.

So, any road up, for RHD (if you can believe the BMW Blue parts book) only Hella supplied the headlamps, and only one type (Bilux). The Bilux bulbs were held in by a complicated spring loaded socket that you pushed onto the reflector and turned a little to the right to lock it on under three small tabs on the reflector (see the reflector on the right in the pic below). The H4 type was easier as there was a spring clip that pivoted over and latched in on the reflector (see the two on the left in the pic below).

In theory, you need reflector part # 63 12 8 650 120 which I believe is NLA. However, Linwar in the UK, did have complete headlamps for RHD but be prepared to spend a lot of coin.

https://www.linwar.com/e10_163_12005_00.html

I don't know what (& why) the difference between a RHD reflector & a LHD (other than differing BMW part nos). I just thought it was the headlamp glass that differed in order not to blind oncoming traffic. However, if LHD reflectors are available & you want to try that route, you'll need to ensure you can get one matches the adjustment mechanism in your buckets, if not, it's the Linwar option, or maybe you can get your reflectors re-chromed????.

FYI - Walloth & Nesch sell the H4 bulbs that will fit in the Bilux reflectors.

001.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Thanks Guys. This clears it up. I think I’m best off trying to refurbish my old set. Reflectors are ok. I think the glass could do with a light polish. 

No wonder the bloke was selling these sealed units cheap!