• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FOUND WTB early rear impact strip hardware

They are certainly available - but they are also bonkers money from BMW. I've considered substituting the lower knee moulding T bolts in their place, when it's time to replace them on my own car. 

Correct T bolts are $15 **each** which is absurd IMHO.

T bolts easily modified from the knee trim are $4.00 each where I work...so it's a slightly less kray-kray option, though you'd have to shave them down a bit for the impact strip channel. I'm sure there are SAE versions of these available at body shop supply places, but I just can't stomach the thought of using a std wrench on my cars. :)

Hope this helps!

Paul

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

Hey Paul,

The knee trim hardware will work with lots of grinding on them but, if a person wasn't to anal that, every single piece of hardware on their BMW, must be from the Fatherland, here is an easy alternative.    I bought these clips at NAPA, they slide right in, they are spring loaded and are tight. I am using these on the Alpina build and,won't disclose it at sale time.   :^)

NAPA #  665-1917      $5.00 for a bag of 4

-dq

A9BB0E2D-A22C-4074-8942-A7E1F50BF158_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Perhaps it's just me, I have found alternatives using "similar" hardware and by making slight alterations, you can save some dough. 

Check out what's commonly called "elevator" bolts. You can find them online or at a good local hardware store that has the section of misc fasteners, bolts, and doo hickies in them plastic cases all on a rack.  

Hand die grinder-make T-bolt.  

but what do I know. 

null

image.jpeg

• Like 2

But what do I know

All of these are brilliant ideas! I'm certainly not above some home brew solutions to tricky weirdo 2002 projects. Heck! I have over 25 hours invested in THIS crazy contraption (and SOMEHOW... 1 5/8" stacks STILL fit inside it WITH a filter! it's like a Tardis! At least the box is made in Germany, right? #metricgeek :D

top airbox.jpg

Edited by wegweiser
  • Like 1

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

59 minutes ago, wegweiser said:

All of these are brilliant ideas! I'm certainly not above some home brew solutions to tricky weirdo 2002 projects. Heck! I have over 25 hours invested in THIS crazy contraption (and SOMEHOW... 1 5/8" stacks STILL fit inside it WITH a filter! it's like a Tardis! At least the box is made in Germany, right? #metricgeek :D

You said tardis 

• Like 1

But what do I know