• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sun visors - reupholster or buy "new"?

Thanks for all the advice and warm welcome, everyone! So from what I'm reading, here are the options mentioned and my own thoughts:

1. Buy OEM parts, but likely wind up with a pair with a mirror on the passenger side rather than the driver's side one. This is the least risky method while retaining genuine parts. For my own situation, it's probably the way I'm going to go. If I can find some for North American cars at the same price point, that would end up being ideal, but if not, that seems okay to me, too.

2. Use the E28 visors, which may not 100% fit or have the correct colour on both sides, but are very similar and a lot less expensive. This seems good for someone who's trying to replace them on a tighter budget, is OK with having all-black visors, and/or doesn't plan to use the visors much.

3. Attempt a DIY fix, which might more risky as I don't think anyone's tried it before. My existing sun visors have vinyl in good shape, so they maybe aren't the best test subject for a spray foam method. Also wondering if they could be resealed using a lower-temperature heat gun blast rather than duct tape... But I do hope someone tests it out! (I'd actually love to try a couple ideas out with some worn-out visors as test subjects...)

4. Leave them as-is, even if they're puffy. Not much to say here opinion-wise.

5. Get them fixed -- the person who offered to fix them told me the mirror would have to go, so probably not going this route considering it's currently a similar price to buy OEM vs. having them repaired.
  • Like 3

Another option: E21 visors. They are a different shape but work well. Note there are 2 versions, one with the same shark skin texture fabric as the 02, ones that had a waffle pattern. 

Welcome to the fun house!

James

• Like 1

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo (sold)
1973 Mintgrun 2002 "Kermit" (sold)

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"

1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Weekender "Otto Van Gonzo"

E21 visors were the mid-80s upgrade - same colors & texture, plus the little tail toward the center blocked a bit more sun around the rear view mirror (also upgraded with larger E12 mirror).  I'm not sure if E21 version are still available new or found in decent condition these days.  Edit - new from W&N €145.30 Incl. VAT + Shipping (Excl. VAT €122.10) 

https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/sun-visor-from-8-78-up-to-9-80-right-51-13-09.html

Photo from the web/not mine:

IMG_9517.JPG.be0c6b055f0c7d2defa27f09ca3

• Like 1

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

One other option I forgot about is new stock aftermarket sun visors.  I think these are the ones that Maximilian or Wallothnesch was carrying for a while, but dropped.  I found them still available thru Rogers tii:

https://www.rogerstii.com/bmw-2002-sunvisor-set/

Feedback on Facebook from the folks who have installed these is that they are pretty decent.  The shape and color of the clips is apparently a little off, and the pattern of the vinyl does not match the originals.  But at less than 1/2 the price of new OEM replacements (if you can find them) it may be an option worth considering.

• Like 1

'73 2002 tii Graniterot/Saddle

'17 X5 Xdrive 3.5d Mineral White/Amaro Brown

'18 328d Xdrive Sportwagon Glacier Silver/Black

Mike is right- it is possible to "re-inflate" old visors with foam. 

1. Dump out all the old crumbled foam, through the adjustment screw hole.  Could take a while.

2. Mask off the top of each visor to keep the foam off.

3. Cut three or four slits in the top edge of each visor, through which you will insert the foam straw.

4. Place each visor in a frame or form that will prevent them from blowing up when the foam expands.

5. Insert the foam straw in each slit, and fill the visors, from the bottom to the top, working from one slit to the next.  It's messy.

6. After the foam has cured, clean off the excess, and extract the visors from the form.  Remove the masking tape.

Words of advice: Squirt a few shots of water into each visor before blowing in the foam.  The water helps cure the foam.  In my one and only attempt at this, the foam did not fill out the visor as much as I would have liked.  Maybe a more aggressive foam would be better. Still, they are infinitely better now than the empty sacks I started with.  I was hoping for a good match between the white sides of the visors and my new headliner, but that didn't work out.  I ended up spraying them all black with vinyl dye.  Not "correct", but then, I'm not headed for Pebble Beach.

068 - Copy.JPG

074.JPG

076.JPG

085.JPG

080.JPG

014 - Copy (4).JPG

084.JPG

096.JPG

102.JPG

001 - Copy.JPG

002 - Copy.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

So I guess it's a one and done thing if it bonds to all the vinyl. I actually found a driver's side visor with no mirror for $30. The vinyl isn't nearly as good as what I've got, so I'm planning on opening that one up as a test subject. ?

I’ve been thinking along the same lines as borgpj. Surprised that much powder came out! There are several type of foam from 3M, including “structural” polyurethane foams for reinforcing body panels. There are also available vinyl seam sealing irons (aka soldering irons) that might work. I have a set of old visors, will try and post results.

'72 BMW 2002tii

'00 Porsche 911

Does anyone have just the hinge bracket for the drivers (left) side? Oddly that side is out of stock everywhere, but not the right side. When cleaning up the visors the plastic portion crumbled. 

ES#79713 - 51161816015 - Support - (NO LONGER AVAILABLE) - See MOQKT - Genuine BMW -

Project: 1974 BMW 2002 tii Malaga

Daily: 2006 BMW 330Ci

8 hours ago, gambitpaul said:

Does anyone have just the hinge bracket for the drivers (left) side? Oddly that side is out of stock everywhere, but not the right side. When cleaning up the visors the plastic portion crumbled. 

ES#79713 - 51161816015 - Support - (NO LONGER AVAILABLE) - See MOQKT - Genuine BMW -

Search for one of the 3D printing threads - maybe someone can make one if you can't find used via the Classified section.  Good luck!

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif