• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hood Support Identity

We have replacement hood for my 73.  (Old hood had some light collision damage but the  'oil canning' was significant.)  The new hood did not have the support mechanism, so we are moving the one from my old hood to the replacement.  Ran into a PO situation.  The four bolts that secure the sprung bar to the inner sides are designated in the parts guide as M6X16-SB.  These appear to be a fine thread.  It appears that on my old hood, PO had used other 6mm fasteners including one body screw and probably stripped blind nuts on the old hood.  It appears that the M6 - 1.00 thread was not correct.  I have ordered the correct bolts from Maximillian as they do not appear to be easy to source.  I would like to have a thread tap on hand for this, so I need the correct thread.  Can someone identify the thread from M6 x 16 - SB? 

Edited by David Layton

Frau Blucher - 73 tii

Captain Biggles - 66 Triumph TR4a

You might try chasing the threads on those blind nuts with a 6 x1 tap.  If that doesn't work, you might drill out and re-tap for a 7 x 1 bolt; there should be enough meat on the nut plate to accommodate the extra millimeter.  6 x 1 bolt size is the metric equivalent of a 1/4" x 20 SAE thread so is very common.  Don't think I've ever encountered a 6 x .75 thread bolt on a 2002...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite