• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best source for 71 degree thermostat?

I've always used Wahler.  A few sources show them as Borg Warner / Wahler now.  I only see Vernet making 71° ones.  Check with BluntTech or Maximillian Importing Co.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

i got 71 wahler from bavarian auto parts euro (bap euro) here in LA a few years ago they have them in stock or can get them in hours usually. they can get almost anything for vintage bmw's and i've worked with the owner for 20 years now

https://www.yelp.com/biz/bap-european-north-hollywood-2?osq=bavarian

Edited by bmw_e30

18' Racing Yellow 911 GT3
71' Agave Green 2002
10' Silver Landcruiser 200 series
10' White Landcruiser Prado 150 series

Regarding the 71 degree thermostat possibly being too cold - since installing the 71 a few years ago, I've never had any overheating issues.  I really like seeing that temperature needle always slightly below horizontal.  Maybe the engine doesn't run quite as as efficiently as with a higher temperature thermostat, but the piece of mind is worth it.  Also, much cheaper than reducing the potential for overheating by installing a better radiator and/or using an electric fan. 

• Like 2

I'm a fan of the 75 degree.  Used it when in San Diego, Park City, New Orleans and now Oregon.  Blunt tech great source, pelican parts, maximillian... lot's of options.  I did have a Wahler go bad and Blunt tech offered to warranty but it's cheap enough to just replace.  

Chamonix 2002tii 2782507 July 23rd, 1974

Granada 2002 1664158 November 28th, 1968

Malaga 2002 4223965  March 11th, 1974 - Sold

You'll Never Drive Alone!  #YNDA

After putting in a high capacity radiator from W&N, I had to switch to using an 80 degree thermostat just to keep it running hot enough.  I also switched out the standard tii "Tropical" fan for the smaller kind (less noise).  No issues with overheating.

• Like 2

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

Whichever one you pick, drill a 1/4 inch hole in the thermostat plate.  It doesn't change anything with the thermostat, but it will let you drain the entire system without getting a big sploosh when you disconnect the thermostat. 

• Like 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

On 6/12/2020 at 5:54 PM, JohnS said:

After putting in a high capacity radiator from W&N, I had to switch to using an 80 degree thermostat just to keep it running hot enough.

After installing the W&N high capacity radiator I've noticed my car running very cool these days. Needle seems to be at the 4:00 position most of he time, although it has not seen the summer heat yet in NJ.

I think I have 71 deg thermostat. How does one tell for sure? What is a good source for the 80 deg variant?

Vince

'72 2002tii 'Liesl'

16 hours ago, mvliotta said:

What is a good source for the 80 deg variant?

I'm sure all of the usual suspects have them (Blunt, Max, IE etc.)  I think I got mine here BEHR/Mahle brand:

https://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/1153146805680-MFG322-V5478.aspx

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

16 hours ago, mvliotta said:

After installing the W&N high capacity radiator I've noticed my car running very cool these days. Needle seems to be at the 4:00 position most of he time, although it has not seen the summer heat yet in NJ.

I think I have 71 deg thermostat. How does one tell for sure? What is a good source for the 80 deg variant?

Vince

It should have a stamp on the side you should be able to see if you stick your head down or use a mirror.

• Like 1

Chamonix 2002tii 2782507 July 23rd, 1974

Granada 2002 1664158 November 28th, 1968

Malaga 2002 4223965  March 11th, 1974 - Sold

You'll Never Drive Alone!  #YNDA