• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Genuine BMW Parts Made in China ?

dalimizer

I've never encountered this before so someone set me straight.

I recently purchased a BMW 2002 trunk lock with keys from ECS Tuning. Stated to be genuine BMW part.

When I get the thing its has BMW Group on box, but also has Made in China.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/trunk-lock/51245476145/

Is this what it's cone to ? Say it aint so.DSC03673.JPG

Yep, and many of the reproduction parts of much lower quality too.

A couple recent examples I've come across for the 2002

- Hood emblems (sometimes the BMW font isn't even right, sometimes made of plastic instead of alluminum...)

- Bump stops for the hood (used to be a rubber block, now a hollow plastic piece... )

- Chrome nuts for rear window (used to be chromed metal are now chromed plastic...)

Reaffirms by belief that you are better off refurbishing original parts unless you are absolutely stuck.  

• Like 2

A good number of products stamped OEM come from the same production/assembly lines as "Happy fast car parts" on Ebay. 

"Usually" the OEM offer some sort of quality control. But not necessarily so. 

Riddle me this:

What are you buying?

Trim fluff? Your choice. 

Critical component? Pay extra with the manufacturers stamp. (be aware even those can be counterfeit too).

Why? 

Who are you (or family) going to sue  (and most likely collect from) when you find yourself an unwilling participant in a  crash, fire, hospital, graveyard etc. because of a critical component failure...

BMW, Bosch, Delco etc.?  

Or a company du Jour from Ebay?: i.e (Happy fast car parts, Racing quick car, etc. etc.) Good luck finding the company and even better try to collect from them...

My two cents. 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

It's interesting to me how everyone equates being "made in China" as poor quality, but never actually puts any of the blame on the company who's product it is. There's many reasons why they manufacture there and elsewhere in Asia; controlled costs, shorter supply chain, etc. Parts can be made to a very high quality there, but you have to spend the time doing QC, work with the right factories and most likely pay a little more than finding who will do it the cheapest. Basically, doing the job you would have done if you were still doing the work yourself instead of just padding your bottom line.

My iPhone was made there and so was my laptop I'm typing this on. Apple makes sure things are made to their standard. When I was making headphones in China, they had to meet our standard or they were rejected. All I'm saying is, I think a lot of the blame is misdirected. BMW should do a better job of making sure parts are meeting their customers' expectations.

I blame BMW for making shit parts and cheaping out to make an extra buck everywhere they can. I've bought so many parts over the years and they're straight garbage lately.

• Like 1

mike tunney

Well, reality can go take someone else's money, then.

If Crapitalisim is going to work, we gotta send the

crappy parts right back and take our money and shop elsewhere.

Yes, this DOES take some work on our part.

Personally, I try to avoid things Made in China because

of their national policies of environmental abuse.

Which is now equalled by US, since the EPA's been shut down.

I'm gonna go crawl under a rock, now.

t

how's Greenland this time of year?

• Like 7

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Whether they knew it or not, BMW was one of many western companies who had things made in factories using Uighur prisoner labor, who were imprisoned for having an ethnicity that is not chinese enough. For crimes such as:

Owning a tent, a compass, extra food

inviting more than 5 people to your house without telling the police

sending a petition complaning about officials

not letting officials take your dna

not letting officials scan your irises

not letting officials download your phone contents

speaking with someone abroad over the internet

having whatsapp

not attending a mandatory flag raising ceremony

speaking the uighur language in school or at work

acting sad when your parents die

etc.

etc.

“Under conditions that strongly suggest forced labor, Uighurs are working in factories that are in the supply chains of at least 83 well-known global brands in the technology, clothing and automotive sectors, including Apple, BMW, Gap, Huawei, Nike, Samsung, Sony and Volkswagen,”

Not to mention that while in prison they're raped, beaten, sterilized, etc.

I also try not to buy things made in China, not because of quality, I'll gladly buy something made in Taiwan. But because the chinese government has the power to ignore human rights because we'll keep giving them our money regardless.

And the Uighurs are only the most recent group we know of who has suffered this treatment. Look up the persecution of the Falun Gong as well, and how prisoners are kept alive just until their organs are needed to be transplanted.

" Ethan Gutmann estimates 65,000 Falun Gong practitioners were killed for their organs from 2000 to 2008"

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, thinksound_mike said:

It's interesting to me how everyone equates being "made in China" as poor quality, but never actually puts any of the blame on the company who's product it is. There's many reasons why they manufacture there and elsewhere in Asia; controlled costs, shorter supply chain, etc. Parts can be made to a very high quality there, but you have to spend the time doing QC, work with the right factories and most likely pay a little more than finding who will do it the cheapest. Basically, doing the job you would have done if you were still doing the work yourself instead of just padding your bottom line.

My iPhone was made there and so was my laptop I'm typing this on. Apple makes sure things are made to their standard. When I was making headphones in China, they had to meet our standard or they were rejected. All I'm saying is, I think a lot of the blame is misdirected. BMW should do a better job of making sure parts are meeting their customers' expectations.

I blame BMW for making shit parts and cheaping out to make an extra buck everywhere they can. I've bought so many parts over the years and they're straight garbage lately.

you work for grado?

18' Racing Yellow 911 GT3
71' Agave Green 2002
10' Silver Landcruiser 200 series
10' White Landcruiser Prado 150 series

9 hours ago, bmw_e30 said:

you work for grado?

nope. I was a partner in thinksound, which we put on hiatus last year. for a tiny company, we won a ton of awards and had a good 10 year run. hope to be back in the future but the headphone market is horrible and declining.

mike tunney

23 hours ago, thinksound_mike said:

Totally agree.

I worked for a Company supplying Rolling Mills & Process Lines for the metals industry. Any order we got from a Chinese Co must have 51% of the parts manufactured in China. QC was paramount. I would oversee manufacture before moving on to oversee installation & start up. 

Any Co having manufacture in China must (IMO) have QC involvement, preferably by ex-pats.

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17