• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question: Euro or US bumper overriders

Either the Euros or the '73 specific over-riders as their silhouette echoes the cars' silhouette. The US overriders found on the three or so years prior (2nd photo) are just horribly awkward looking and do nothing for the car aesthetically.

• Like 1

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

I believe the small Euro bumperettes, as in the first photo, were used up until April 1971 (introduction of the Modell 71). Then Euro-spec cars adopted the larger, pointy bumperettes, which were used through the end of ‘02 production.

U.S.-spec cars used the early Euro bumperettes during 1966 and early 1967, switching to the larger and taller U.S.-only bumperettes, in your second photo, until the end of the 1972 model year (August 1972). U.S.-spec cars adopted the pointy, “late-Euro“ bumperettes for the 1973 model year, but bumperettes disappeared on U.S.-spec cars with the advent of the square taillight.

I’d vote for the U.S.-spec bumperettes on your ‘69, @69Bimmer02. Why? Because it has the other U.S.-spec attributes, such as sidemarker lights and reflectors.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Thanks guys, appreciate the opinions.  The US overriders actually fit better as you can see.  Not sure why but the Euro's just don't hug the bumper for some reason.  Maybe the bumper has a slightly different form on this early model.

Which ones are you yourself, leaning towards? Do you care more about appearance or originality, both or neither? It's your car, do what makes you happy. However, I'd just keep whatever was on the car originally if you're malleable and need another opinion.

• Like 2

I agree with AceAndrew, I have a euro-spec 71 car, which came with the vertical style overriders. I was living in Germany at the time, the car was always in Germany so I suspect these larger overriders were also available in Europe...Not definitive evidence of course.

Andrew

• Like 2

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

3 hours ago, Oldtimerfahrer said:

I agree with AceAndrew, I have a euro-spec 71 car, which came with the vertical style overriders. I was living in Germany at the time, the car was always in Germany so I suspect these larger overriders were also available in Europe...Not definitive evidence of course.

Andrew

And I agree with both Andrew’s. I just think that the super-sized overriders were a rarely-requested option outside the U.S.!

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1

Smaller pointy overriders are so much more aesthetically pleasing, to my eye (says the guy with the original big US bumpers on his '74 tii!).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Based on the number of ‘02’s today with no front bumpers whatsoever, I’m guessing that most ‘02’s are no longer parallel parked, obviating the need for true “overriders” for those owners who choose to retain bumpers — for whatever reason.

As a past victim, time and time again, of The Bumper Wars of the 1970’s, however, I just want to point out that the standard, early Euro-spec bumperette, as shown in @69Bimmer02’s first photo, is truly a bumperette. If called upon to serve as an overrider (more accurately, “preventer of overriding”), or “underrider”, it will fail miserably, as it’s height dimension is not much greater than the bumper itself.

In my best Clint Eastwood, which is none too good, “Think about it, punk:”

1.) Do you ever parallel park your ‘02? And if the answer is, “Yes”,

2.) How much are your front grilles and hood worth to you?

BOOM! ?

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1970 was the beginning of the government, insurance company and the auto manufactures' push to reduce the cost of minor collisions.

The US auto makers agreed to match bumper heights as much as possible...20" from the ground for the front bumpers!

Imports were required to conform, hence the taller bumper over-rides and shock tower spacers. Structural  strength and energy absorbing

gimmicks were also mandated....just compare the changes from our '68 cars to the "diving boards" on our "74 -'76's.

• Like 1

Well, contact parking used to be a sport...you could always make a little space and if you had a Land Rover, whose bumpers were more like angle irons, there was no harm in leaving it on the street. I was always fascinated by the pictures of the small cars 2cv/fiat 600 parked in Paris or Rome nearly on top of each other...dents everwhere, not a straight bumper in sight....I am now afraid to parallel park because people don't understand how fragile those bumper are. My next project is straightening some early E30 chrome bumpers...lots of luck.

Andrew

• Like 1

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight