• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB Fire/Strike steering wheel

SteveDraz

Yes, they’re factory sport wheels. There are two versions: the Euro-spec version (common in Europe, rare in the U.S.) has long perforated ovals on each of the three spokes; the U.S.-spec version (common in the U.S., rare in Europe) has long indented ovals on each of three spokes. In addition, some Euro-spec ti’s and tii’s may have come from the factory with Euro-spec versions of this wheel.

Separately, many U.S. 1970-ish 2002’s came from the factory with the U.S.-spec version of the wheel, due to.... we think... a fire or strike at the steering wheel factory.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I've got one in my 69 - which reinforces the theory that only 69/70 US cars got 'em. it's a lovely wheel - and if you find one, you'll dig it! It may not be actual leather wrap - but you can't easily tell the difference. 

before touchup.JPG

left sport seat.jpg

Edited by wegweiser
  • Like 2

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

7 hours ago, wegweiser said:

... It may not be actual leather wrap - but you can't easily tell the difference...

left sport seat.jpg

That’s right, Paul, they are not genuine leather, but they look convincing — when they’re in good condition, which becomes rarer every day. If you have one re-done, it will almost certainly be done in genuine leather. I contacted a couple of the steering wheel restoration shops and both said they would only re-do them in leather, as vinyl (fake leather, pleather, whatever) doesn’t have the flexibility of leather, which is needed to recover them “wrinkle free”. The originals were apparently molded.

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1

Just to add, there was a larger 42 cm Euro spec version with the perforated holes that was available for e9's. It had a horn ring on the hub and was leather wrapped. The 40 cm version, as Paul and Steve said was vinyl but it is almost indistinguishable from the leather version. The "US version" is more difficult to find, but neither is very rare albeit its getting hard to find any nice wheels that are 40-50 years old! Good luck with the search! 

John

• Like 1

1969 2002 Granada, 2nd owner

1976 2002 Fjordblau (sold)

A few too many steering wheels

On 7/21/2020 at 2:09 PM, SteveDraz said:

It's only a placebo for a bit.  I get to tell my wife that some big names are responding to my post, have warm fuzzy feeling of inclusion and then.... I realize I still don't have any leads on the wheel.  ?

I do see the U.S. versions on U.S. eBay frequently. That’s where I bought mine.

Regards,

Steve

Just checked eBay (“BMW E10 steering wheel”): none today. But there are a couple of the wood-rimmed versions of the sport wheel.

Here’s one on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-E10-BMW-1600-2002-Steering-Wheel-fire-strike/153646656306

Today, 97% of them need recovering, at least in my opinion. I believe that professional recovering, in leather, runs $300-ish, so factor that into your costs. As mentioned above, the original soft rim was made to look like a stitched-on leather cover, but was actually molded, not a separate stitched-on cover.

Good luck,

Steve

I've got the 400mm steering wheel (from my beloved '70 '02) that I was holding when some kid rear ended me going about 30 mph while I was stopped at a stoplight on a Sunday morning in Steamboat Springs CO. The car in front of me got croquet balled out into the middle of the intersection. With the great crumple zone design, I was able to open the door and walk away from my poor crushed car. I got to keep the car and part it out.

Now I have a '72 with a Momo sport wheel (that took some time to get used to) so I don't need the old wheel. It's in great shape. $250 + shipping?