• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fletcher

Things you love should be named.  I don't name stuff I don't care much about, but all the stuff I love I have named, including all of my cars.  Genders can very, depending on the personality of the particular car and/or car/driver bond. Mine are:

2002 - Asterix (as in the Gallic comic book character, male)

E30 - Beatertrix (track tramp, female)

M5 - Abraxas (Steed of Helios, male)

Wife's Forester - Xena (female)

Odyssey minivan - Midnight (female)

Vespa - (Idefix, Asterix's dog, male)

Clearly one day I need an Obelix, but no car has struck me as a good 'fit' for that name yet!

I also name my computers, traditionally after Tolkien characters. Desktop is Gandalf, HTPC is Bilbo, laptop is Legolas.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AustrianVespaGuy said:

Things you love should be named.  I don't name stuff I don't care much about, but all the stuff I love I have named, including all of my cars.  Genders can very, depending on the personality of the particular car and/or car/driver bond. Mine are:

2002 - Asterix (as in the Gallic comic book character, male)

E30 - Beatertrix (track tramp, female)

M5 - Abraxas (Steed of Helios, male)

Wife's Forester - Xena (female)

Odyssey minivan - Midnight (female)

Vespa - (Idefix, Asterix's dog, male)

Lol....u love a Forester and a mini van? ?

• Haha 1

2xM3

17 hours ago, jp5Touring said:

Never named a car or gave it a gender

Thank you! It’s a car.

Forty-four years with the ‘76 and... no name, no gender! It doesn’t mean I love it any less!

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 4

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

18 hours ago, adawil2002 said:

1600 Cabriolet Veronika is a female, 

1973 2002Tii Vern is a boy,

1973 3.0CSi Athena a female

1988 M5 Rodney is a boy,

1997 M3 The M3 is neutral,

2007 X3 The Unicorn is neutral,

2007 Z4 Coupe Julia is female

2104 X3 Ophelia is female.   

Hmmmm...

Why female and boy?

Not male and female or boy and girl?

• Haha 1

2xM3

26 minutes ago, M2M3 said:

Extensive thought goes into naming our vehicles..not.

Red car

Purple car

Orange car

Truck

Wagon

X3

Black motorcycle

Orange motorcycle

you forgot these ?
The green parts car

The red parts car

The Rat

Barney the Purple M2

The black race car

The red race car

The assorted trailers

The garage

• Haha 2

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

My wife does the naming. I go along with the convention

Celeste the tii

Oscar the 69

Jose the e30

Kate the e90

Big Blue the Pilot

The Silver Slipper: RIP totaled 2002 MB

Green Bean: 1992 Honda Accord (gone)

Red-Red: 2000 Accord Coupe (gone)

• Like 2

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Great answers all ??

in fifty some odd years of walking the earth, I’ve yet to name a car, but I’ve yet to love one either.  I’ve named my children, my pets and even one house plant...  but never a car that I can recall.  

My youngest - as an adolescent years ago - named a battered old ford truck I bought once to move with “The Man Machine”.  

Found On Road Dead was how I mostly thought of that one.  It/he was the source of most of the automotive tools I now own and the majority of my forays into more complex repairs.   (1aauto parts & videos).  

I was very fond of both of my FJs & my Tundra and thought of them more or less as male if I considered it at all.  

I hope to love my 02 and wanted to start that association off on the right foot by giving it/her/him/they a name.  Currently Bill (the guy providing the car) and I have been referring It as Mint Green (or ‘Lime Sherbet’ as BW sees the color), but that’s not a name..

I keep thinking of M’pudi in The Gods Must Be Crazy referring to the Land Rover as the Antichrist and hoping for a more respectful & collaborative footing with my new project than that ?

Thanks for all the input and perspective!

20 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Is the 02 He, She or It?  Or is it variable? 

Friend of mine calls my beast Wanky. (she's a tranny)
Luckily there are 112 genders now. Sorry Flethcher I can't answer.

Trans people are who they say they are and deserve to live their lives without being constantly questioned or told they aren’t who they say they are.

• Like 1

On certain occasions I refer to it as "POS" but that roundie rear end always bring me back.?

I usually go with:

Bimmer = 1600

Beemer = K75

and the other 2 are big car and daily

If I added a gender id get in trouble calling her my big car or calling her my daily ride

Edited by MitchaPaLoOza88
  • Haha 2

Fahrt Start

We don't actively name. The names just become. So, the 02 became Falco. ( yes Austrian) and Linda's m3 convertible is just Dakar. That could be female. Or neutral. Or they. The other five are as yet unnamed at least officially. All loved though. 

• Like 1

#BrunhildetheBMW 

Ergo, Female. 

I tend to name allot of things...

Giuseppe is the name of my pizza oven... 

Giorgio is the name of my sourdough starter I use for pizza..

Ralph is the name of my 3D printer..

'Franco the dirt-curious road bike' is the name of my adventure/gravel bike...

My slow-tourer bike is neutral thou... known only as "Abomination" because it's quite frankly the most Frankenstein'd mess of awesomeness you've ever seen. 

I for some reason have never named a Mountain bike.... weird. 

There's more. I just don't wanna come across as too off-my-rocker,

Otherwise maybe everyone starts thinking I have to name things because I don't have any real friends....... ITS NOT TRUE I TELL YOU.... people love me! They do!

*sigh*...haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, jgerock said:

The Rat

Yeah, I did have a car named The Rat--a really ragged out E21 given to me for its 5 speed.  Had been run out of oil twice and the engine seized (twice. both by the PO's college-age daughter) but he got it running again.  It ran OK so I didn't have the heart to part it--drove it for a year and then sold it for enough to pay for a 5 speed and its installation.  

I also had a '72 Datsun pickup truck that I named The Red Peril, (it had faded to a kinda pink, but "The Pink Peril" doesn't sound nearly as scary) because it would periodically experience no-notice brake failure.  Never had an accident, but when a friend borrowed it I gave specific warnings about the brakes and how to stop the truck with the gearbox and handbrake.  I finally found the cause of the intermittent brakes; after that it was just rusty and slow.

mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

When Bill Ballon was working on the tii as my purchase was being finalized, he kept referring to it as "her."  I asked how he could tell - he replied, "Believe me - she's a b!tch!"  I named her the female diminuitive of the previous owner, thus Juanita.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif