• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Door Jamb Sticker - 1974

Gonch17

Hi All,

I am attempting to get my Oregon 1974 2002 titled in California.

I took it to a SMOG shop here in Berkeley, CA who is also a VIN Verifier. He would not process the paperwork on behalf of the DMV as the sticker (see attached photo) had been painted over.

I have the VIN stamped in three locations, in addition to the emissions sticker. It is SMOG-exempt.

BluntTech are checking for me with their printer, but does anyone know where I could get the sticker reproduced? Its the white, perforated one with the weight and dates on.

If I could get a DMV or CHP appointment, perhaps this would not be so much of an issue.

Any advice? Thanks to JAS for the photo.

105B40C5-2826-4925-AC2A-2384249CC246.jpeg

10 hours ago, tomphot said:

https://car-bone.pl/

I had mine done here.  Let them know what your looking for, maybe send them your pic.  

Here is what I got back.

586666f5967e2f4ef21b788172078603.png

Up to, and including, 1973 models — I believe — BMW used a fugitive ink for the manufacturing date and VIN, switching during 1974 to the perforations. Note also that 1974 models generally used the “b” version of the sticker: different weights. I’d guess most VIN verifiers don’t know that, so perhaps anything could pass. But remember you’re either pulling off the painted-over sticker or you’re placing the new sticker on top of the painted-over sticker. Both will draw attention to the new sticker.

CarBone can duplicate anything. I don’t know if they would perforate the sticker or use ink to duplicate the minuscule perforations. But you should think about how you approach the replacement. For example, do you use an Exacto knife to cut the paint around the edge of the original sticker, remove the original sticker, and then have the new sticker made to the exact measurements of the area you’ve cut out. You don’t want the door to look like you’ve just replaced the VIN sticker!

Alternatively, you could serve as a sacrificial lamb for my benefit, and try gently removing the paint from the original sticker. What? Yes, my ‘73 tii has the sticker painted over as well (first photo below)! My backup, from the same source as Tom’s, is standing by in case the paint removal is a flop (second photo).

Let us know how you resolve this.

Regards,

Steve

903B742D-5E1F-4B85-8477-196EFFFAD940.jpeg

0B691D89-AC99-47FE-B562-4C6919D35DED.jpeg

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Thank you both! I will get one made up and see what it looks like.

My guess would be the VIN Verifier I went to (who was a nice chap) would be fine with any kind of an official looking sticker on there. 

Happy to be the lamb, Steve...I’ve tried an initial paint scrub and it MAY work. However, I wimped out and stopped early on as I wanted to check my options. Photo attached using super-fine sandpaper with just a few early rubs. 

27D0B11F-E1CB-467C-9197-36DCEC05AFDA.jpeg

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, John_in_VA said:

You need at least one door buffer / "corn kernel" for the longer leg of the latch - one per side.

s-l640.jpg

Thanks John! Appreciate that.

Be careful, I may start sending you photos of the car one-by-one to see what else is missing!

I need to sort out that manky glue on the door panel as well. 

Do you know your cars manufacture date, mine is March 74 and it has the inked VIN number not the perforated one. Can you actually tell that it has the perforated number under the paint.

Depending on when they switched it could be "correct" if you get a unperforated reproduction.

IMG_20200716_241931789.jpg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, albatcha said:

Do you know your cars manufacture date, mine is March 74 and it has the inked VIN number not the perforated one. Can you actually tell that it has the perforated number under the paint.

Depending on when they switched it could be "correct" if you get a unperforated reproduction.

IMG_20200716_241931789.jpg

Excellent!

So based on these two samples, we have March 1974 in ink and July 1974 with perforations. Both are using the “b” version of sticker. How about some additional 1974 samples? (We’ve previously discussed the various versions of the door VIN sticker. I’ll bet we collected some data in that thread.)

Regards,

Steve

Below, two 1974 door VIN stickers from a thread begun April 15, 2015. Both show perforated dates and VIN’s and both are from June 1974 cars. So we now have March 1974 ink and June 1974 with perforations. Any April or May 1974 cars out there? ?

Regards,

Steve

2B9F0E1A-3713-4AA2-8F1D-CC31C1AB0BCC.jpeg

D8D79C1F-CDB8-4688-A224-F8F994C24165.jpeg

Hope I never have to title my '73 in CA...it has no door sticker at all, because (apparently) the driver's door was damaged in shipping, or at least before the car was sold new, and the door was replaced by BMW.  I discovered that when I first removed the upholstery panel and found black primer inside he door vs the usual grey/greenish grey primer.  And the door's innards were not very well painted--lots of primer showing.  And, of course, no sticker. 

Interestingly it was sold new at Mill Valley Imports in CA, but to a military officer who probably had it titled in his home state (NC, I think).  Maybe they weren't paying that close attention back in '73.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

10 minutes ago, mike said:

Hope I never have to title my '73 in CA...it has no door sticker at all, because (apparently) the driver's door was damaged in shipping, or at least before the car was sold new, and the door was replaced by BMW.  I discovered that when I first removed the upholstery panel and found black primer inside he door vs the usual grey/greenish grey primer.  And the door's innards were not very well painted--lots of primer showing.  And, of course, no sticker. 

Interestingly it was sold new at Mill Valley Imports in CA, but to a military officer who probably had it titled in his home state (NC, I think).  Maybe they weren't paying that close attention back in '73.

mike

If need be, Mike, CarBone (reference above by Tom) could make you a new sticker that looks just like the old one...

If you ever move to California... ?

Best regards,

Steve

Just go to another shop say in Hayward or in the areas where the guys are not so Berkeley-ish.  Those guys have been brow beaten such that they think everyone is out to get them.  

I took my 74 2002 (no smog) to a muffler shop on Shattuck to have a header + exhaust put on and they refused. 

But what do I know

18 hours ago, Gonch17 said:

105B40C5-2826-4925-AC2A-2384249CC246.jpeg

I thought 2782350 was always a CA car. When it was for sale Feb 2018 in Santa Clarita it had 'blue plates'. I guess it went to OR after that.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

8 hours ago, conkitchen said:

Just go to another shop say in Hayward or in the areas where the guys are not so Berkeley-ish.  Those guys have been brow beaten such that they think everyone is out to get them.  

I took my 74 2002 (no smog) to a muffler shop on Shattuck to have a header + exhaust put on and they refused. 

This could be the answer to be fair...get out of town a bit and find some more relaxed garages.

58 minutes ago, 02Les said:

I thought 2782350 was always a CA car. When it was for sale Feb 2018 in Santa Clarita it had 'blue plates'. I guess it went to OR after that.

Sorry for the confusion...this is actually not my VIN. Mine is 4226227.

This is an example sticker from another thread. Mine has been OR since manufacture.