• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Door Jamb Sticker - 1974

Gonch17

Have you tried using "goof off" paint remover on the sticker?  It might work. I've used it to take off some old overs spray on my 69.  Like Conkitchen said - go to another shop.

• Like 1

Chamonix 2002tii 2782507 July 23rd, 1974

Granada 2002 1664158 November 28th, 1968

Malaga 2002 4223965  March 11th, 1974 - Sold

You'll Never Drive Alone!  #YNDA

4 minutes ago, Carlos_M said:

Have you tried using "goof off" paint remover on the sticker?  It might work. I've used it to take off some old overs spray on my 69.  Like Conkitchen said - go to another shop.

No, but that’s a good idea. Definitely worth salvaging the original sticker first...thanks, will try that and update here once I get a chance.

yeah, the different shop is probably the main way of getting this sorted. 

47 minutes ago, Gonch17 said:

No, but that’s a good idea. Definitely worth salvaging the original sticker first...thanks, will try that and update here once I get a chance.

yeah, the different shop is probably the main way of getting this sorted. 

There is a smog shop on Shattuck right by hwy 24 that shares the building with A&A tire. Just saying ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

But what do I know

Steve,

Here is my sticker for my Tii built April 22, 1974.  The numbers are neither printed nor perforated.  It appears they were impressed into the sticker.  After 46 years you can barely see the date and the VIN indentions.

Best,

Glen 

IMAG0233.jpg

15 hours ago, Conserv said:

So we now have March 1974 ink and June 1974 with perforations. Any April or May 1974 cars out there? ?

here you go.  this is mine, original owner.  actual mfg date is 5/6/1974 

20200716_134753.jpg

• Thanks 1

Bob

BMWCCA #4844 (#297 of The 308)

1974 2002 Sahara, MM 2400 Rally engine, MM 5 speed and conversion

1976 2002A Anthracite parts car

1991 525i AlpinweiB II

2002 330ci AlpinweiB III

2007 530xiT Titanium Silver

1 hour ago, yeewiz said:

here you go.  this is mine, original owner.  actual mfg date is 5/6/1974 

20200716_134753.jpg

Thank you! So now we’re down to an April or May 1974 changeover from ink to perforations!

Much appreciated,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

6 minutes ago, NYNick said:

Maybe it's redundant, but the sticker I salvaged off my January build 74 tii has no perforations.

Nick

All good, Nick. Thank you.

It helps establish that albatcha’s inked label is not simply an artificially-aged repro by CarBone... ?

More data is better!

Best regards,

Steve

20 hours ago, Glen Karr said:

Steve,

Here is my sticker for my Tii built April 22, 1974.  The numbers are neither printed nor perforated.  It appears they were impressed into the sticker.  After 46 years you can barely see the date and the VIN indentions.

Best,

Glen 

IMAG0233.jpg

Thank you, Glen. I, somehow, missed this yesterday. Sorry.

I’ve seen, however, lots of earlier cars with similar evidence: little or no remnants of ink, but shallow impressions that allow you to read the date and/or VIN.

My “read” is that the ink-stamping process both deposited ink and left, often, a shallow impression. The ink, we all agree, was terribly fugitive, entirely or mostly disappearing over the last 45-50 years. So I’d probably place your label in the “ink” category.

This would place the changeover from ink to perforations between April 22, 1974 and May 6, 1974.

Best regards,

Steve

19 hours ago, Conserv said:

So now we’re down to an April or May 1974 changeover from ink to perforations!

You just reminded me that in one of my obsessive moods I had a "stamp shop" create 2 stamps for the early ink version of the decal.  The shop has since gone out of business after almost 100 years.

EPA Rubber STamps_SML.jpg

I've offered before, but I'll offer again.  I have the artwork (TIF) to create an early faux decal to be printed on 3M reflective stock and then clearcoated.  There are many decal shops that will create this decal. Please be aware that the circular perforations are fake.  But they do look real on the decal.EPA_Decal_Door_Master_proof.jpg

EPA_STICKER_DOOR1 copy.jpg

I rubber-stamped the VIN and dates with the decal on the door.  Big mistake.  The stamps slid and caused a less than perfect print.  I have a spare decal that I will stamp correctly and place at a later date. The first decal is still legible and wearing quite well after 7 years.  Definitely reflective.  Looks original.  Poor photo also.  Sorry.

EPA_STICKER_DOOR w stamps.jpg

Edited by PaulTWinterton

73 Inka Tii #2762958