• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trunk Boards

SydneyTii

The board is held in place with a handful of small screws around the perimeter.  I believe a rectangular pad of some sort of fiber was originally glued to the center underside of the board.  It might have been on the other board though - haven't had them out in a while!

Edited by John_in_VA
  • Like 1

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Mine has a small piece of wood that is glued to the center piece between the tire well and fuel tank and then across the top.  The board is screwed into those with 4 screws.  It is barely touching the fuel hose. 

Edited by tomphot
  • Like 1

'72 2002Tii Inka   2760698
'65 Porsche 356SC

Mmmm thanks for all the replies,

my 74 tank seems to sit a bit high, as it definitely touches the board, Where the pickup tubes leave the tank, I bet it’s resting on the same goop (mastic) that was all over the heater box, hence the slight lift.

i can easily push the edges down should I wish to screw it down or fit those clip things.

I should remove it clean it up and see what’s going on. Cheers.

I just went out and pulled the board and flipped it over. While I can't guarantee it's original to the car, I can ALMOST guarantee it. It fits, it's old and it came with the car when I bought it. The other side was missing, so there's no reason for me to believe this one isn't original.

As you can see, there's some type of felt or horsehair pads attached to the bottom. This must lift the board slightly off the tank. When pressed down, it lays flat with no crowning or bulge. It's just slightly warped so it doesn't do that now.

Anyway, here you go.

20200722_083130.jpg

• Thanks 2

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

Weird that the side over the Sedan's/Saloon's tank isn't (apparently) screwed down, but the side over the tank in a Touring is.

The Touring's panel is held by 9 wee screws and 'cupped' washers.

Edited by 02Les
  • Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

A close look at the perimeter support tabs will show small screw holes, One in each tab. My original board touches the tank but doesn't sit high over the tabs.

The tank to body seal should not be very thick.  RV pickup topper to box gasket strip works well, closed cell foam material is needed for a liquid seal.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

The trunk floor board over my gas tank was originally held down by small screws. I have had to pull it several times, so those screws now live in a plastic bag tucked under the board next to the gas tank. 

Early 1971, so before the trunk side boards. 

-Dave

• Thanks 1

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

Feb '69 production trunk boards:  clipped in place on the spare tire side; held down by itty-bitty screws/cup washers on the fuel tank side.

Dec '72 production '73:  same as the '69.  And like Dave, I leave the screws off on the tank side, since I have a piece of rubber-backed carpet for a trunk mat that's heavy enough to hold everything in place without the screws.

The undersides of both gas tank side panels (plus several spares I have) look exactly like NY Nick's.  Don't recall ever seeing an original tank side panel that wasn't held down by those little screws.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

The tank-side screws are dome-head counter-sunk Philips and the washers are countersunk. That is so stuff in the trunk doesn't scrape on elevated screw heads and cause damage.  I too used to keep them in a bag because of a constant need to work on the gas tank.  Finally, after a few years of head scratching I was finally able to seal my tank properly so that no odors escaped through the seals, hoses or clamps  It was a fun day when I was able to screw down the board, knowing that I wouldn't have to remove it in the near future.

You can find relatively close to OE screws and washers at ACE Hardware in either steel or stainless.  Wait!  It might have been Lowe's.   Be careful that you don't buy ones that are too large.  The existing holes in the body are quite small and you don't want to enlarge them if you can help it, IMHO.

Edited by PaulTWinterton

73 Inka Tii #2762958

FWIW part nos for screws & washers. There are 9 of each for the Touring, not sure about the Sedan.

screws 07 11 9 902 418

washers 51 41 7 570 111

May still be available

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17