• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 BMW 2002tii

cdn97986

Despite the engine and luggage compartments having been miserably painted black — is that undercoating? — this is quite an original example. It’s also very early, the 43rd U.S. tii built, which means it has all those quirky “early tii” details that collectors love. 

I didn’t see a mention of the engine number, but I’m guessing it’s original. If it isn’t, that would be... sub-optimal. Probably original nosepiece. A nice bit of documentation accompanying the car. Original seats, (almost) un-torn. Original carpet, quite intact. Original headliner, cleanable. Yes, I know that many would happily jettison those original seat covers in favor of World Upholstery replacements, but someone who values the old part of old cars — maybe I’m a group of one — is drooling to correctly restore this interior, a restoration that would largely consist of a good cleaning, minor repairs, perhaps a gummihar cushion or two, and perhaps some reinforcement under the perforated vinyl sections of the front seats.

All in all, I’d rate this car worthy of a gentle restoration — meaning not a rotisserie, ground-up rebuild. I usually consider extreme low mileage claims, by someone other than the original owner, to be a krock of sh*t. But that interior, and the amount of original fabric to this car, e.g., diagnostic plug on the valve cover, suggest this might be a fairly low mileage car. Sure, maybe the speedo was broken for a while, and sure, ‘02 odometers are far from precision measuring devices, but this could be a low mileage example (most alleged 80K ‘02’s are probably closer to 280K!).

I’m bullish on this car, but the disappointing price of the Malaga tii last week ($25K) — admittedly an even rougher car — tempers my price expectations for this car. I’m going to guess $35K but would be delighted if it went higher. If it goes for much more than that, I’m going to conclude that there are more sentimental historically-minded ‘02 enthusiasts than just myself! ?

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

A few thoughts.

The engine bay looks well used for a low mileage car.

Seller states all panels original. Note the seams above the headlights.

1972_bmw_2002tii_1595525994176fa1a2dfdIMG_0039.jpg

1972_bmw_2002tii_1595525985f609abIMG_0104.jpg

Looks to have had a repaint putting paint on the crappy 44.5k mile seal. The seal gives the appearance of a car left out unused in the weather.

1972_bmw_2002tii_1595526050ddcdc40cf6f609abIMG_0003.jpg

Seller states he has driven the car maybe 2k miles since buying. When the car was for sale in 2016 the miles on the odo were 44,481, so maybe the odo is in question of reliability, or.........

2760043 1g.jpg

1972_bmw_2002tii_15955259356fa1a2dfddcdcIMG_0114.jpg

I think a good PPI is required for anyone interested.

• Like 2

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Les,

Doubtful speedometers are so.... ‘02! At times, half the speedometers on ‘02’s for sale are “not working currently” or, my favorite, “has not worked since I bought it”. And that’s why I’d view this as a “low miles” rather than a 44K mile example. To me, low miles means the speedometer has not flipped over. (Notice how the seller says “original miles” but also says “TMU” to cover his butt.)

Since 97.5% of front fenders on Northeast cars have been replaced — due to rust — we don’t count front fenders as “body panels”. They are “service parts”, much like points and condensers... ?

I agree, this car spent many a winter, and summer, outdoors. And it was probably re-painted at a time when ‘02’s could not justify $20K, $10K, or even $5K paint jobs...

PPI’s are always warranted. This one got black undercoating, which hides much. And the spare tire well is too-well painted on the outside, so I suspect a repair or replacement.  Oh yeah, spare tire wells, at least in the Northeast, are also “service parts”. ?

But I’m sticking with my “thumbs up” on this particular car, until you show me that it’s the car in the photo below!

(I am forever in debt to c.d.iesel for introducing this image to the forum — among other, more substantive, contributions.)

Best regards,

Steve

C39455FD-ACF7-443B-B738-4ED23C53DA25.jpeg

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I too really like this car. It's extremely presentable and original looking, but not "restored" or reconditioned the point where I would be nervous to drive it. In terms of condition, this is the type of 02 I wish I had bought. Nice and worn in. However, once the seats and interior gets to where they were on that Malaga that sold on BAT this week, I think I would prefer some "reconditioning" over originality.