• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB: Rear seat backrest cover 1971

djminkin

This style of perforated vinyl, with a row of simulated stitching in a flat “valley” between pleats (a.k.a., the heat seam) -- as seen in the first photo -- was used until approximately the end of the 1971 calendar year. Thus, early 1972 models had this form of vinyl, before switching to the later style, where the molded pattern continues unabated through the heat seam valleys -- second photo.

The "scooped" or "bucketed" style of the backrest shown became more pronounced after the introduction of the face-lifted Modell 71 in April 1971. I'd guess the backrest shown might be Modell 71 rather than pre-Modell 71, although the difference tends to be subtle unless pre and post examples are side by side. I'm pointing this out because although I suspect you can put a pre-Modell 71 seat cover on a Modell 71 backrest frame without issue, there was a subtle change in backrests that occurred around April 1971, a change you may or may not be concerned with.

Regards,

Steve

215D20EA-6328-4B88-8B91-AA8CF7B7F882.jpeg

A832E80A-EA9D-4DC7-B0F5-BD44760C17CE.jpeg

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)