• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Winshield Wiper Drive Rod Grommets - Are they available?

calw

61618444115 and 61618444119 are the windshield wiper mechanism's "drive rods".  The photo shows one of them. At each end of the rods there is what sorta looks like a rubber grommet that acts as a bearing for the rod's motion.  They allow some swivel action.  Mine's out of the car, but I assume that the swivel action is needed to install them, or that the normal motion of the wipers requires it.

These two rods as new replacements cost almost $ 400.  Ouch.  If those "grommets" could be replaced, the cost of refreshing the rods would be much less than the new parts.

Has anyone done this?  How to get the parts?  Are they just grommets?  I haven't taken mine apart for fear of making them un-usable and un-repairable. They still function but the rubber looks pretty tired.

61618444115.jpg

Where did you look for the new wiper arms?   I've purchased wiper parts from both Walloth Nesch and www.parts.com (for this site, you need to enter the part number and NOT try to search by vehicle).

Edit: the second site isn't valid.  I'll keep looking for the proper one.

Edit # 2:  My receipt from parts.com was for wiper parts purchased in January 2009.

I paid less than $ 66 for each of the drive rods back then. 

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Ah, those were the days!

As of this morning, here are current online prices in dollars.  The first three are US suppliers often referred to here, the last is W&N.

W&N is the cheapest on the list, but not if you buy just these parts and add in their standard shipping cost (yes, they often have $ off or

half price shipping sales)

Supplier 61618444115 61618444119 $ total
1  $              216.53  $             171.57  $ 388.10
2  $              203.29  $             158.49  $ 361.78
3  $              204.44  $             159.39  $ 363.83
4  $              189.04  $             147.38  $ 336.42