• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 BMW 2002 tii

johnpeter

21 minutes ago, iinca said:

'cause they don't know the Bottle Cap curse

Round taillight tii rule = e30 bottlecaps scrub $5K off the BAT value when compared to stock steelies or early OEM alloys...

??

In this particular instance, seller claims to have the original steelies, he just doesn’t know he needs to mount them. So maybe $2.5K off BAT value... ?

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I seem to be the odd one out here. I don't see anything wrong with the E30 Bottlecaps, and don't understand why Owners of them have to be derided because they do. They are (apparently) still plentiful, allow for a slightly better selection of tyres, and are way easier to keep clean than a lot of the 'prefered' wheels.

14~15 years ago, when 13" tyres started to dry up, it made sense to go up a size. At my local scrapyard (SAT then) I found 5 of these wheels (that never looked as if they had been mounted) in the back of a derelict pick em up. Cost maybe $100 for the 5. I then bought a set of tyres and I was good to go. Ran with them until recently when I bought a set of 100+ wheels from Resra. British wheels for a British delivery '02!!!!

I guess beauty is in...........

• Like 2

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

it's all in good fun.

its not such a sin on a stock 02 but when these restorers and flippers insist on using them on their tii's (along with cheapo tires) it makes little sense to me.

who knows they could come back in to favor.

they are alloy right?

On 8/9/2020 at 7:26 PM, 02Les said:

I seem to be the odd one out here. I don't see anything wrong with the E30 Bottlecaps, and don't understand why Owners of them have to be derided because they do. They are (apparently) still plentiful, allow for a slightly better selection of tyres, and are way easier to keep clean than a lot of the 'prefered' wheels.

14~15 years ago, when 13" tyres started to dry up, it made sense to go up a size. At my local scrapyard (SAT then) I found 5 of these wheels (that never looked as if they had been mounted) in the back of a derelict pick em up. Cost maybe $100 for the 5. I then bought a set of tyres and I was good to go. Ran with them until recently when I bought a set of 100+ wheels from Resra. British wheels for a British delivery '02!!!!

I guess beauty is in...........

I must admit, Les, that I would probably have the same negative reaction to any 1980’s style rims on a 2002, which is such a 1960’s style.

But perhaps there’s more.... Because I consider the e30 bottlecaps to be, essentially, free rims — free or very cheap — I presume, wrongly in many instances, that they are only on the car because they were free. Team them up with $50 tires and stick them on a $30K+ tii and you’ve brought that car down three notches, by introducing cheap and period-incorrect elements.

They consequently remind me of the sad days when an ‘02 was only worth the cheapest rims you could find. Although Slavs would disagree with me, I am thrilled that the ‘02 has climbed out of that hole and is now worthy of collectors and better wheel choices. Hey, high-quality 13” tires are back!  ?

And that’s why I rag on e30 bottlecaps... ?

Best regards,

Steve

• Haha 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)