• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M10 Shorty Header - good ones out there?

kbmb02

Helping a customer....

Looking for references/feedback from anyone here who has recently purchased a ‘shorty’ header for an M10 (LHD), most interested in hearing from those who are happy with build quality and fitment. Please post names of vendor and/or links. Thanks. -KB

I didn't think 'shorty' worked on an I4- even the stock manifold and downpipe is a tri-Y.

I did like the header version of the tii manifold, tho.

t

not any help whatsoever.

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

On 8/13/2020 at 9:45 PM, TobyB said:

I didn't think 'shorty' worked on an I4- even the stock manifold and downpipe is a tri-Y.

I did like the header version of the tii manifold, tho.

t

Yep - it's the 'header version of the tii manifold' I'm looking to collect information on.

This is the unit my customer purchased and had shipped to me. The 'joints' on #4 aren't great, though, I understand the challenge of that bend and could accept it given the low price of the unit.

But, it's the 'step' at the exit flange which has me looking for something else (roughly 1/4" of step in 40-50% of the that hole, not-exactly ideal for flow, performance, etc). -KB

ie-shorty-header-quality-1.jpg

ie-shorty-header-quality-2.jpg

ie-shorty-header-quality-5.jpg

ie-shorty-header-quality-4.jpg

• Sad 1

Fluid friction for 90 degree pipe (yes air/exhaust gas is a fluid for all you guys who forget the air in your tires when "changing all the fluids") exhibit resistance approximately equivalent to 10 diameters of the pipe.  Cylinder no 4 in the header of Ken's pic has 2 more bends than the other cylinders.  Seems like it things are not as pressure balanced as advertised.

Engine Masters on youtube did a session on how much a dent affects power.  Initial pulls, no dents.  Then they applied some dents with a sledge hammer.  Couldn't come up with a difference in power.

Edited by jimk

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Doesn't Top End Performance sell a shorty?

https://www.racetep.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=M10+header

There also a company called Top Speed Pro  (based in Texas I think)  that used to make and sell stainless shorty headers too. One happy Top Speed customer here on the board a few years ago. Don't know if that company still makes them for M10's anymore. 

https://shop.redline360.com/products/top-speed-pro-1-headers-bmw-2002-2002-tii-1967-1976-4-2-equal-length

Edited by Vicleonardo1

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

9 hours ago, kbmb02 said:

Yep - it's the 'header version of the tii manifold' I'm looking to collect information on.

This is the unit my customer purchased and had shipped to me. The 'joints' on #4 aren't great, though, I understand the challenge of that bend and could accept it given the low price of the unit.

But, it's the 'step' at the exit flange which has me looking for something else (roughly 1/4" of step in 40-50% of the that hole, not-exactly ideal for flow, performance, etc). -KB

ie-shorty-header-quality-1.jpg

ie-shorty-header-quality-2.jpg

ie-shorty-header-quality-5.jpg

ie-shorty-header-quality-4.jpg

This looks like someone's first failed attempt at making their own header, that they sold to your customer to recoup the money and time spent making it so they could try again or give up and buy a quality made product. This is another case of you get what you pay for. If it was my car I would get the one from Ireland Engineering.

16 hours ago, 2002iii said:

This looks like someone's first failed attempt at making their own header, that they sold to your customer to recoup the money and time spent making it so they could try again or give up and buy a quality made product. This is another case of you get what you pay for. If it was my car I would get the one from Ireland Engineering.

I've built a few exhaust systems- the first ones looked nowhere near that good.

I agree- it's not a $1500 header made in a factory in Asia.  But it's competent.  I'd run it if I'd made it or it came to me in a trade.

I'm not sure how much you could get me to PAY for it! 

I agree with Jim- I don't get the difference in 'length' in 3 and 4.

But it's got to attach to the factory downpipe,

so it's not like we're going for those last 3 ft-lbs at 3800, here...

There was a gorgeous version posted here years back- I THOUGHT Roger sold it, but I could be mistaken- his website's down today.

t

would just stick 4 angled pipes up through the hood.

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

If I were in the market, I'd almost for sure buy IE's shorty header, mostly for the convenience that it bolts right up to the stock downpipe.  That said, I'm not entirely convinced it's much of an upgrade over the stock manifold, nor that at this point it isn't worth just going for real headers for just a bit cost.

https://www.iemotorsport.com/product/shorty-header-2002-e21/

1 hour ago, AustrianVespaGuy said:

If I were in the market, I'd almost for sure buy IE's shorty header, mostly for the convenience that it bolts right up to the stock downpipe.

The unit shown above is the IE shorty header. And yes, I’m looking for the convenience of it bolting to the stock downpipe. 

2 hours ago, TobyB said:

I agree- it's not a $1500 header made in a factory in Asia.  But it's competent.  I'd run it if I'd made it or it came to me in a trade.

At $245, I’d agree it’s competent. I want more* - considering a weld/braze fill-in around the flange and then smoothing the transition, which adds cost. It’s time for grinding goggles. (words never uttered by Vin Sculley).

*I admit to being spoiled by the design and build quality of an M10 header I had fabricated recently. A different price point, obviously. Of course, I understand parts and quality like this are not practical for higher volume / lower cost products.

Where’s the middle-ground? -KB

E5861BC6-E022-4A3F-9E7C-B6B7F30C78E4.jpeg

953C04AE-C865-4B75-B01C-52BF058A39C1.jpeg

3564C0D2-4C2C-44E2-94F9-B6564D1E0185.jpeg

• Like 2

If I could weld, I’d seriously think of buying up Tom Rafalski’s remaining shorty header parts stock and jigs to continue where he left off building his shorty headers. https://02again.com

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20