• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M10 Shorty Header - good ones out there?

kbmb02

6 hours ago, kbmb02 said:

The unit shown above is the IE shorty header. And yes, I’m looking for the convenience of it bolting to the stock downpipe. 

At $245, I’d agree it’s competent. I want more* - considering a weld/braze fill-in around the flange and then smoothing the transition, which adds cost. It’s time for grinding goggles. (words never uttered by Vin Sculley).

*I admit to being spoiled by the design and build quality of an M10 header I had fabricated recently. A different price point, obviously. Of course, I understand parts and quality like this are not practical for higher volume / lower cost products.

Where’s the middle-ground? -KB

Well it doesn't look as nice as the one they show on their website. When did he buy it? Was it purchased directly from IE?

11 hours ago, 2002iii said:

Well it doesn't look as nice as the one they show on their website. When did he buy it? Was it purchased directly from IE?

Yeah, I'm a little surprised too; the reason I recommended the IE header is because after glancing at the pics I assumed that one WASN'T, as that's not really the same level of quality that I usually associate with their parts. . .

I have a Top Speed one and it's pretty good. The welds were nice but the mounting holes were drilled off on two or three spots. I had to widen the holes to make it fit. It's all stainless and was pretty cheap They may still have some on ebay. I think they were around $150. Scott Sislane has one as well and his fit perfect, so maybe mine was an odd ball.

mike tunney

7 minutes ago, thinksound_mike said:

I have a Top Speed one and it's pretty good. The welds were nice but the mounting holes were drilled off on two or three spots. I had to widen the holes to make it fit. It's all stainless and was pretty cheap They may still have some on ebay. I think they were around $150. Scott Sislane has one as well and his fit perfect, so maybe mine was an odd ball.

I bought the same ones off Ebay, Had to file a couple bolt holes out to fit, Other than that there polished stainless with a thick flange and works fine and the price was good

Beyond looks, has anyone with a SS header had cracking develop anyone on it?

SS expands considerably more than steel and flexibility needs to be built in to avoid over stressing at places.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

3 hours ago, jimk said:

My SuperSprint tri-y header originally had standoffs on top of it to mount a heatshield.  Unfortunately the weight of that heatshield vibrating around did indeed crack one runner right were the standoff was welded to it.  But I just went to the 320-style heat shield gasket cut off the standoffs, and welded the little crack shut.  No further problems since, so I'm confident in saying it's only a problem when 'improperly loaded' but not an issue for 'normal operating conditions.' Hope that helps!

image.png

4 hours ago, jimk said:

SS expands considerably more than steel and flexibility needs to be built in to avoid over stressing at places.

Not quite the same application but I used 321 stainless headers on a turbo four stroke snowmobile and had constant problems with cracks until I had the headers ceramic coated inside and out. The theory is the ceramic prevents rapid temp swings which can cause cracks. It worked for me but that was a much hotter engine in a much colder environment than these cars will ever see. 

I didn't realize the shorty was so popular.  After pulling my header for  the afr bung noticed it was looking pretty tired. 

My son is a metal fabricator, does a lot of stuff for 60's 70's muscle cars. We talked about doing a header and exhaust for my car.

Was thinking the Tri Y header.

Some of his work on a Evo.

32318995776_25145380d7_o.jpg 

• Like 2

On 8/16/2020 at 9:53 AM, TobyB said:

I've built a few exhaust systems- the first ones looked nowhere near that good.

I agree- it's not a $1500 header made in a factory in Asia.  But it's competent.  I'd run it if I'd made it or it came to me in a trade.

I'm not sure how much you could get me to PAY for it! 

I agree with Jim- I don't get the difference in 'length' in 3 and 4.

But it's got to attach to the factory downpipe,

so it's not like we're going for those last 3 ft-lbs at 3800, here...

There was a gorgeous version posted here years back- I THOUGHT Roger sold it, but I could be mistaken- his website's down today.

t

would just stick 4 angled pipes up through the hood.

The one currently listed on Roger's Tii is the IE header. 

https://www.rogerstii.com/bmw-2002-shorty-exhaust-header/

Without scouring this site. Has anyone had issues with the Top End Performance Shorty?

I do remember the Top Speed Pro shorty's were pretty inexpensive. (a few years ago). Sislane was happy with his. 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

BMW Shorty Header for 2002

Upgrade part.  IE's short tubular exhaust header...

Pictured unit is with ceramic coating (available at extra cost). 

That wasn't it, I don't thinks.  Byt it was a whyle back.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

22 hours ago, Vicleonardo1 said:

Without scouring this site. Has anyone had issues with the Top End Performance Shorty?

Like I mentioned previously, mine looked really nice in my hand.  I would buy another one if I was looking for that solution for an M10.

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.