• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Installing new exhaust

nhep23

Hey guys,

I'm finishing up an engine rebuild in the next several weeks and I have a question about exhaust. My old exhaust was totaled... header was all rust. Header to down pipe bolts were rusted gone.

I picked up a new header, center resonator and muffler from Top End Performance, but they only came as the individual pieces. Right now I'm seeing a few options to get the new exhaust installed:

1. Install old exhaust system, drive to exhaust routing shop, give them components and then they route tubing to match my components and car
    1. I don't like this because it's negative work, don't want to put old exhaust on just to take it right off
  2. Don't install any exhaust, tow car to exhaust shop and they route new tubing and i drive the car back home (or tow back home)
    1. Don't like this because I want to validate new engine build is working prior to driving it home
  3. Install new header ONLY on engine and drive to the exhaust routing shop (15 min drive) with header only. They route rest of exhaust and i drive home.
    1. Preferred option because I can get engine up and running and then drive car to shop and drive home

Is option 3 crazy? Never had engine running without exhaust on there... Are there any other options that I'm not considering but should?

Located in Denver area if anyone can recommend a good exhaust shop..

Thanks!
Nate

Is your header a long or short branch? if it's long go with plan 3, if it's short try to fit the down pipe to keep the fumes and nasty oil and soot out of the engine compartment.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Judging by the side by side comparison with my old header I would say it is short.

I could just get a short segment of stock tubing and clamp it around the end though temporarily to get fumes/oils out of engine bay?

IMG_5656.jpeg

Tow it both ways? It's only 15 mins each way... Then start the engine first back home with a proper exhaust so that you can hear what's going on. 

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

Option 4        Put it all on your self, it is not hard, everything is a bolt in other than where it hooks into the header, not sure on this how it is fastened    Pretty easy     When I put exhaust in, I stick the handle of my ballpeen between the pipe and the rear x member where the exhaust goes over the x member  That works out to hold the exhaust in place while you tighten the 3 bolt flange at the frt of the center pipe, then put the muffler on, put the hangers in and set it so it clears everything and tighten up the clamp, pull the hammer handle out give the exhaust a few good whacks with your hand to see if it touching anywhere, adjust as needed and away you go

I'm assuming you dont want to mess with it yourself, dont blame you there.

Without a lift muffler work blows.Tow it there, tow it home.

Pretty much any under car work blows without a lift, next year I'm getting one and a shop to put it in.

I saw the light yesterday while replacing rear ball joints on my X5?

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

12 hours ago, nhep23 said:

Judging by the side by side comparison with my old header I would say it is short.

I could just get a short segment of stock tubing and clamp it around the end though temporarily to get fumes/oils out of engine bay?

? I don't see a problem with this plan.

2361432 - Red, Box Flared, Weber 40s, 5-Speed

2 hours ago, stephers said:

Lightweights       Get a good jack and some BIG jackstands for all 4 corners and you can get it up high enough to do anything under the car very comfortably   You don't need a hoist

Yeah, uh huh, how old are you? like 20?

I used to be fine with noodling around under cars too, now it makes me cranky.

I dare you to replace both frozen, nasty dirty X5 rear ball joints on your back and say that.?

Cant even get a decent swing on a hammer.. dirt and crud raining down in your face. Cant get the freakin impact lined up... 

I want one, I need one.I will have one.

DC90BA53-DF4F-406B-8065-BF5DAFC5B7BF.png

Edited by tech71
  • Like 2

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Actually, I am 65 and work everyday at my shop doing everything on jackstands   I consider it is my one way of getting some exercise doing that up and down thing   The jackstands that I use get the car about 2 ft high so there is lots of room under the car  and besides, I would rather lay on a creeper and do things that way instead of standing under a car and having to raise my arms up all the time.

If you have the space and the cash to do a hoist, go for it but not having one should not stop anyone from doing everything on their car.  

Plus I can always have a little snooze sometimes when laying down on the creeper 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I guess I got spoiled while in Germany (2004 to 2016)

The local U.S base had a brand new, Auto Skills Center with lift bays, tire mounting/balancing equipment, alignment rack, welders, tools,equipment and attendants to give a hand when needed.

It was an awesome perk, just one of many things I miss about Germany.

Coming back to my two car garage with less than optimal floor was has been hard to adjust too.

And at 64, I just dont have the mobility/flexibility I once had. If you still do you are very lucky indeed.

I can still do it but I pay a price.

I want to continue working on stuff, I get a lot of satisfaction from it. I want adequate space for my lathe, drill press, hyd press, welders, compressor yada yada.

Half of that stuff is in storage because I have no space to set it up.

Its been fun getting Survivor back amongst the living and many plans still in the works for that car including a possible DIY refinish if I just had the space!

The X5? never fun ever, but required.

689D9C16-CACD-4F4F-AFBF-B2996F7CB055.jpeg

IMG_2117.JPG

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris