• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Long & Short Headlamp Bezels

PaykanHunter

Truth be told...some years ago, I collected a coyote (yes, we have 'em in Ohio) way out in the country heading home after midnight.  The impact crunched up my 73's right side grille.  It took me almost two years to find a replacement shallow grille, so I ran with a deep grille on the right and a shallow one on the left.  No one--including those at Oktoberfest--noticed!  Except me.  Bugged the hell out of me 'till I found the proper one!

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Just to put this burning controversy into perspective, we keep a close watch on the number of people who check all the following boxes:

(a.) know there are two different round taillight side grilles,

(b.) can actually point to the difference between the two versions when a deep grille and a shallow grille are laying side-by-side on a workbench, 

(c.) notice which grille or grilles are mounted on an ‘02, and

(d.) might care.

I am proud to say that that number has now reached.... doing some calculations...

7 ???

We are hoping to have 9 by the year 2022, unless one of us dies! ???

Best regards,

Steve

• Haha 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

17 hours ago, Conserv said:

To Jim’s point, because the shallow grilles represented just a year and a half of U.S.-spec ‘02 production, BMW seemed to discontinue their production as replacement parts soon after ‘02 production ceased. Deep grilles, on the other hand, have remained in production, albeit unevenly over time. Still, I regularly see shallow grilles on “deep grille cars”. We just need to do some judicious grille swapping! Well... that could solve some of the problem!

Best regards,

Steve

IMG_20200818_152319621.jpg

Yes, the radiator is out because I am installing the engine driven fan again. But the 400mm won't fit with the new Mishimoto radiator so I await a 360mm fan :P But I thought you'd like my bezels :D and headlights.

• Haha 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

3 minutes ago, ray_ said:

Yes, the radiator is out because I am installing the engine driven fan again. But the 400mm won't fit with the new Mishimoto radiator so I await a 360mm fan :P But I thought you'd like my bezels :D and headlights.

While you're waiting on a fan, you could fix that sagging front bumper?

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

6 minutes ago, 02Les said:

While you're waiting on a fan, you could fix that sagging front bumper?

Hey I could say a few things!

:D :D 

• Like 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.