• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

super nice agave at rm in auburn coming up

bmw_e30

No description, just pictures.  Looks very original--all the little details are in place:  plastic caps on the brake fluid bottle screws, the correct horn relay with its Hella lettering still intact, unpainted screws atop the heater plenum chamber, what looks like the original carpet showing fading on the tunnel housing vs the floor covering where there had obviously been floor mats, original upholstery etc etc.  Even still has the spacers in the front struts, a trapezoid mirror and apparently never has had a radio.  Wonder if the 38k on the odometer is just 38k or 138k. 

If that car is as original as it appears (only a blue coil seems to be replaced) it'll bring a pretty penny....

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

6 minutes ago, danco_ said:

OP, how is your little Agave car doing? 

got a lil mention of my car at virtual quail 2020 at 43min mark lol

• Like 1

18' Racing Yellow 911 GT3
71' Agave Green 2002
10' Silver Landcruiser 200 series
10' White Landcruiser Prado 150 series

Gorgeous. It’s even got a bulge upper radiator hose, which I suspect was a 1971-ish to 1974-ish factory feature.

But don’t assume it’s “un-touched”: few cars are. Where the top flange of the nosepiece (more specifically, the radiator support) laps over the front edge of the right inner fender, the factory “step” has been backfilled and painted over. Body men hate the crude factory joint and frequently cannot resist smoothing over this awkward feature. The left inner fender might still have a lap joint (or did they simply re-install the sticker after backfilling the joint?), so I’m not necessarily positing a nosepiece replacement, but, at minimum, a repair to the right side of the nosepiece and inner fender. There’s also Agave on the three washers for the right upper strut mount. Lastly, the meager glue from the now-missing hood insulation pad is very... non-factory. No wonder the pad is missing. This is only to say that the right inner fender and nosepiece have been repaired and, at minimum, those components, plus the hood, have been re-painted. The orange peel visible on the rear panel, however, is certainly not factory lacquer, so that’s been re-painted as well. My belief, based solely on the few photos provided, is that the entire exterior has probably been re-painted, but the areas I’ve pointed to are certainly not factory paintwork.

The seats and carpets are so nice I’d posit low original mileage. 38K? Conceivably. But I have no idea. Given the terrible track record of ‘02 speedometers, odometers, and speedometer cables, it’s difficult to know when an odometer should be trusted, separate and apart from the five-digit issue. Is it original to the car? Are there documents to support it? Regardless, that interior is at least a 9 out of 10 for a 1972 ‘02. Maybe it’s a 10 for a 48-year-old interior.

If the car were mine, I’d change the fluids, stick a set of XAS’s on it, and call it “done”.

Regards,

Steve

32B4DA82-B23D-4815-8C32-A2835765DA53.jpeg

3CCEF42A-372F-4FBE-8C43-CF4421B2EA83.jpeg

18B5FD6B-20F2-47DE-9BF0-549D34BD8A38.jpeg

A6D7B0F6-3D73-4C86-8C7E-C87002AA0287.jpeg

• Thanks 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

6 hours ago, bmw_e30 said:

got a lil mention of my car at virtual quail 2020 at 43min mark lol

Loved it. 

Can you at least show off the steering wheel and trunk? I slaved over those pieces and damn it, I want to see them. 

:) 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

12 hours ago, danco_ said:

Loved it. 

Can you at least show off the steering wheel and trunk? I slaved over those pieces and damn it, I want to see them. 

:) 

i don't even remember filming it!

in fact someone sent it to me i didn't even know :(

• Like 1

18' Racing Yellow 911 GT3
71' Agave Green 2002
10' Silver Landcruiser 200 series
10' White Landcruiser Prado 150 series

2 hours ago, esty said:

it's hard to believe the seats are original upholstery

I hear you...

But, esty -- and I'm as picky about upholstery as anyone -- it's possible.

The square taillights used crap vinyl and carpet when compared to the round taillights. But my '76's interior is all original: vinyl, headliner, and carpeting. It's got 105K miles on it and was garaged since I bought it new. Like the Agave car, my '76's carpet has suffered the most of any interior element. New horsehair pads were (desperately) needed by 1986, but were fitted into the original seatcovers. (First photo)

My '73 -- which might have 128K miles -- unless that's 228K or a totally meaningless number -- needs horsehair pads, but even the perforated sections of the vinyl have not a tear or cut. Yes, they're filthy, but I fully anticipate they'll clean up and require no new vinyl. Yes, the drivers bolster has some scuffs but those will disappear with a subtle once-over with black dye after the new pads are installed. The recliners may need re-painting, but my '73 has obviously led a much more rough-and-tumble life than the Agave car. (Second photo) The original carpeting is gone. New esty carpeting is waiting in the wings... ?

The style of heat seaming and the vinyl used from very late in the 1971 calendar year through the end of round taillight production in July 1973 are distinctive. No one, at least no one I've seen, has duplicated them. (Third photo) This is the style of heat seaming and vinyl we see on the Agave car. The numbers of pleats, twelve in the front and thirty-five in the rear, is consistent with the factory.

For all the above reasons, I believe the Agave car's interior is likely original. And simply gorgeous. Has it been professionally cleaned, possibly re-padded? Maybe. Probably. But it's still original in my view.

Best regards,

Steve

IMG_0904.JPG

IMG_3220.JPG

IMG_7156.JPG

11 hours ago, Fortlauderdalian said:

Could someone explain this "Even still has the spacers in the front struts". What are the spacers and why do people remove them?

Briefly!

The U.S. had and has bumper height requirements, designed so that bumpers would collide with bumpers. Spacers were installed to achieve the correct bumper heights on U.S. cars (other markets may have had bumper height requirements as well).

The front suspension spacers originally sat on top of the front springs, just under the inner fenders. The spacers have often been removed or moved by now. If the spacers are removed entirely, the three bolts inserted from under the inner fender are too long and protrude awkwardly upward. So... many owners simply stick the spacers on top of the inner fender, where they won’t increase the body height and won’t create the too-long-bolt appearance.

If you don’t see a spacer relocated to the top of the inner fender, and you don’t see too-long bolts, it generally implies that the spacers remain in their original locations.

Regards,

Steve