• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sunroof piece

Scottjeffrey

Yep I've never had a problem with it, although it's kinda a work in progress and needs seals. I wonder if those tabs are for wind deflectors or something on a different model. I know both Volvo and VW used the exact same parts.

If you can't find the tabs themselves, you could probably fill the holes with a composite dough or one of those moldable plastics.

9 minutes ago, easton said:

Yep I've never had a problem with it, although it's kinda a work in progress and needs seals. I wonder if those tabs are for wind deflectors or something on a different model. I know both Volvo and VW used the exact same parts.

If you can't find the tabs themselves, you could probably fill the holes with a composite dough or one of those moldable plastics.

Hi Easton, I also thought maybe they had something to do with the wind defector. Glad you report no problems. Mine got lost when I sent the aluminum out for polishing. Ooops.

Be Well, 

Scott

3 minutes ago, Scottjeffrey said:

Hi Easton, I also thought maybe they had something to do with the wind defector. Glad you report no problems. Mine got lost when I sent the aluminum out for polishing. Ooops.

Be Well, 

Scott

How did the polishing turn out? Where did you send it? Mine are kinda rough and pitted and I saw the sunroof walkthrough on my2002tii and it was like a mirror!

1 hour ago, easton said:

How did the polishing turn out? Where did you send it? Mine are kinda rough and pitted and I saw the sunroof walkthrough on my2002tii and it was like a mirror!

I took them to a uy who does metal working on boats near me. He used a bench grinder with polishing wheels and rouge's. To get the pitting out requires sanding. They look a lot a better than they did but not like new for sure. I did the sunroof assembly, drip rails, quarter window aluminum trim and upper door trim too. All parts look better than they did and nice enough without the cost of new pieces. I won't be at Pebble Beach anyway. Its my daily driver :)

Best Regards,

Scott

12 minutes ago, Scottjeffrey said:

I took them to a uy who does metal working on boats near me. He used a bench grinder with polishing wheels and rouge's. To get the pitting out requires sanding. They look a lot a better than they did but not like new for sure. I did the sunroof assembly, drip rails, quarter window aluminum trim and upper door trim too. All parts look better than they did and nice enough without the cost of new pieces. I won't be at Pebble Beach anyway. Its my daily driver :)

Best Regards,

Scott

Ha thanks, I'll have to find a local place. When I got my 2002 transported to me the sunroof flew off somewhere along the way (shoddy work from PO I'm sure), so I had to source the panel, rails, cables, and hardware from various places. The rails were probably exposed to the elements for quite a while so a polish is long overdue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scottjeffrey said:

Be Well, 

Scott

I also wondered about this when I removed my sunroof panel. After searching it appears to be plastic covers for sunroofs without the wind deflector. Those 4 areas would be used to clip the deflector to the panel. See below for detailed photos of what I mean. 
F2054353-8ED8-4528-8F74-0EB75D5C4347.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jae said:

I also wondered about this when I removed my sunroof panel. After searching it appears to be plastic covers for sunroofs without the wind deflector. Those 4 areas would be used to clip the deflector to the panel. See below for detailed photos of what I mean. 
F2054353-8ED8-4528-8F74-0EB75D5C4347.jpeg

Thanks for solving the mystery, Jae

That photo is my 2002Tii. I was planning on posting it & was beaten to it.

My good friend Stan Chamallas has a few of reproduction Golde wind deflectors in stock. 

Deflector 03.JPG

Deflector 04.JPG

Deflector 05.JPG

• Like 1

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40