• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

‘71 middle kidney

Gblanco22775

Anyone know anybody that’s willing to part ways with one. I have the left and right grill. But it’s that damn middle that’s like the missing link. I’ve been hard pressed to find one in decent shape. And can’t anyone tell me by looking at theses pictures. Does left and right grill even belong to this car. I was given this grill but it looks a lil to big. Any help would be appreciated 

66619C43-C91A-492D-8D3F-CEB88884238A.jpeg

Edited by Gblanco22775

looks to me like your car has the nose off of a square tail car based on the holes for the big bumpers and the shape of the sheet metal behind the grills you have on it right now. The metal grills you have on it right now are for roundies, if im correct about your car, you will need the later black plastic ones from the square tails instead. the center kidney is also different so you will need the later version of it as well

• Like 3

Nice looking car I'd leave the front end the way it is rather than cut into that paint to change it to a roundie front. after all you can only look at one end of the car at a time.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

What's the VIN?  If it begins with 166/167xxxx, 257/8/9xxxx it's a Us spec roundie  Any other number it's either a US squarelight, based on the remaining side markers and license plate light (US only) or a "rest-of-the-world" car. That'll solve the squarelight front/roundie rear conundrum.  

There were several years--several times--when roundie noses were NLA from BMW or anyone else, and more than a few roundies ended up with squarelight noses when the original nose was either banged up or rusted too badly to be repaired.  Suspect that's what may have happened to your car...

i'm sure you can find someone who wants those roundie front grilles, and the squarelight grilles are easier to find in good shape--not as fragile as the aluminum ones, and they sold a lot more squarelights than roundies in the US.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

On 8/23/2020 at 6:01 AM, Gblanco22775 said:

So what grill would fit. ‘74 and up? 

Yes. Black plastic side grilles. But the center grille (a.k.a., kidney) remains aluminum, a clear aluminum frame with black anodized slats.

Regards,

Steve

EDIT: As pointed out below by Tommy, the slats on the late grilles are apparently black plastic, not black anodized aluminum.

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Actually... I think the black grill would complement the other mods to this car 

• Like 1

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?