• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bart Barker

Hi all,

I'm in Southampton, MA. Currently working on my brothers 1973 2002. Motor has been rebuilt with a 292 cam, it has a weber redline carb, I'm having some overheating issues and about to buy a new radiator. "Champion" triple row aluminum, E12 head cylinders bored up once I forget what compression pistons we used, I'll look into that later. Anyhow currently a 71* thermostat. Is the forum alive? 

Hi Bart,

You'd be best off joining our fb page https://www.facebook.com/groups/bmw2002us/?ref=share

As for the radiator, there's really no reason to get a special radiator, IMHP. The stock radiator if freshly re-cored, is great. If that doesn't work, I'd guess your issue is elsewhere. Have you completely flushed the block & head? Then refilled & burped? Water pump replaced?

Scott Sislane

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

With a stock radiator, 70° thermostat & timing set to 32° full advance at 3500, temperature should be just below 1/2 on the gauge. A tired distributor or off timing will cause over heating.  

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Thanks for your replies and information. The 3 row champion has arrived but is 3" thick where as the stock is 2" thick. Now the timing issue Andrew. I believe may be off and needs looking into. What do you mean by tired distributor, worn out or sticking parts? I also now have a hot spark electronic ignition. Not yet installed.

• Upcoming Events

• Supporting Vendors