• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 1600 on Bring A Trailer - No Affiliation

Slavs

Price: $16000

Description:

https://bringatrailer.com/search/bmw++1600/

Here we go again. Recently, non-restored 1600s have sold in the mid-20s with all the so called "patina" associated with a 50 + year old car; cracked dashes and upholstery, high mileage motors and drive train, etc. "California Car" seems to be the word used by the "Snake Oil" salesmen. So what ! I Iive in Los Angeles, California where cars are not immune to rust. Sure, the shock towers don't rust out here, but everything else such as the rocker panels, doors, lower extremities of the fenders and lower part of the front nose section are prone to rust. And, if the car spent a considerable amount of time in the coastal areas, the roof, and especially the hood and trunk are susceptible to rust. They don't rust as fast as they do in other parts of the country, but after 50 years, they rust enough.

I got a feeling this thing will sell in the 20s. It seems the "Flippers" and speculators are selling these cars by just throwing on some lipstick; tires, wheels, steering wheel, a shift knob etc.

What can I say ? For me, this is just another $1,600 - 1600, but for many of you it's a bargain or a fair price.

Slavs

Edited by Slavs

An odd thing I've noticed about the car is that it is Manilla from the factory, yet it has an all black interior. Every Manilla car I've seen has the two tone Brown / Black interior panels with brown seats and brown carpet.

That mirror on the passenger side is useless. These cars never needed them on the passenger side. That's why the factory never installed them there.

Edited by Slavs

15 minutes ago, Slavs said:

An odd thing I've noticed about the car is that it it is Manilla from the factory, yet it has an all black interior. Every Manilla car I've seen has the two tone Brown / Black interior panels with brown seats and brown carpet.

That mirror on the passenger side is useless. These cars never needed them on the passenger side. That's why the factory never installed them there.

Also it's a '68 ?

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

3 hours ago, ray_ said:

Also it's a '68 ?

I don't know where the dividing line lies between 68 and 69. But, I owned a Manilla 1968 1600 which had the remote brake booster. And, I currently own a 69 1600 in Granada which has the more familiar 2002 brake booster, but with the fluid reservoir mounted on top of the brake master, as pictured on this car. I also owned a 68 2002 which has the same brake set-up as my 69 1600 with single circuit brakes. Based on the brakes I would characterize this car as a 69.

Edited by Slavs
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Slavs said:

I don't know where the dividing line lies between 68 and 69. But, I owned a Manilla 1968 1600 which had the remote brake booster. And, I currently own a 69 1600 in Granada which has the more familiar 2002 brake booster, but with the fluid reservoir mounted on top of the brake master, as pictured on this car. I also owned a 68 2002 which has the same brake set-up as my 69 1600 with single circuit brakes. Based on the brakes I would characterize this car as a 69.

The car was manufactured in March 1968.

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Slavs,

VIN 1564182 is a U.S. 1968 model, manufactured — as @02Lespointed out in the BAT commentary (AND, JUST NOW, IN THE PREVIOUS POST!) — in March 1968.

I agree that I’ve not previously seen a Manila 1600-2 with “other than brown” seats. The early chocolate brown upholstery was in use up to, at least, March 1968 (an originally-Manila 2002, VIN 1660482, manufactured March 15, 1968, retains its original chocolate brown interior — see the Registry).

Both the front and rear seats, however, have been reupholstered in this BAT car: the perforated (molded) vinyl is unlike any vinyls BMW ever used in ‘02’s and the heat seams between pleats should be flat-bottomed with the molded-in faux stitching, as shown below. It’s entirely possible the color was changed when the seats were recovered. And it’s entirely possible that the door cards were swapped to conform to a new seat color. Thus, I wouldn’t rely on this car as an example of a factory Manila-black combination, if such a combination was ever produced.

Best regards,

Steve

98095F2F-CFC8-43FC-9D09-25DADC2E73F4.jpeg

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

9 hours ago, Slavs said:

Slavs,

I believe the changeover from remote to the later style of brake booster was in or around February 1968, which is why some 1968 models (generally September 1967 until February-ish 1968) have remote boosters while other 1968 models d(generally February-ish 1968 through August 1968) have the later style of brake booster.

Best regards,

Steve

3 hours ago, Mike G said:

I've been around these things so long, and I have seen so many at the bone yards which were in much better shape than this thing. Maybe I'm just getting older and I'm stuck back in time. But, what is going on with these things is nothing less but insanity. The 02 was a mass produced car.There is nothing rare about it. That's why these things were so inexpensive. They littered the junkyards because few collectors, other than the die-hard bimmer-heads or the few of us who knew better, expressed any interest in them. While the Porsches and Alfas were spared the crusher, that's how most BMWs, including 02s, met their demise. They were considered more valuable as crushed and molten metal than they were as cars.

21 minutes ago, Slavs said:

I've been around these things so long, and I have seen so many at the bone yards which were in much better shape than this thing. Maybe I'm just getting older and I'm stuck back in time. But, what is going on with these things is nothing less but insanity. The 02 was a mass produced car.There is nothing rare about it. That's why these things were so inexpensive. They littered the junkyards because few collectors, other than the die-hard bimmer-heads or the few of us who knew better, expressed any interest in them. While the Porsches and Alfas were spared the crusher, that's how most BMWs, including 02s, met their demise. They were considered more valuable as crushed and molten metal than they were as cars.

I think that’s why you’ve seen prices climb. There used to be a lot of these around, but a bunch got crushed, or crashed, or parted out or rusted away and now there’s less. They used to be just another car but are now appreciated for what they are. Supply went down, demand went up, so prices obviously increased. 

Slavs,

I grew up in Pennsylvania. We salted our roads. We had semi-annual state inspections up until the mid-‘70’s, when we dropped to annual inspections. And those inspections had teeth. I saw ‘02’s — not to mention every other brand of car on the road — that failed inspection due to rust, and were not worth repairing, when they were as young as five years old... Most of those cars went to salvage yards and were crushed in due course.

The 1600-2’s in Northeast salvage yards in the 1970’s were, indeed, plentiful and cheap, just as you remember from the West Coast. Now there are no 1600-2’s in salvage yards. And there haven’t been 1600-2’s in Northeast salvage yards for thirty years, maybe longer. So... we who grew up with cars turning to dust underneath us are thrilled to see surviving examples. And a car with rusted out rockers and floors — but with good rear wheel wells, subframe mounts, and A pillars — is a rare treasure from our Rust-Belt perspective. Few examples, many fans, means high prices, occasionally higher than $1,600...

Best regards,

Steve