• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

distributor cap snafu

Robert Kyle

The bottom (darker) cap matches the cap on my 49-state ‘76 model. It has a 0 231 170 164 / JFU 4 distributor. It is a vacuum advance unit. I believe the CA-only ‘76 uses a different distributor. The latter probably has both advance and retard capabilities.

The top (lighter) cap looks more like the cap on my ‘73 tii, with the half-moon cut-out. That distributor is a 0 231 151 008.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

15 minutes ago, Robert Kyle said:

right, that's my original on on the bottom that fits.

WOnder where I can order one.

The last one I ordered, Robert, came from Roger’s tii. And it was listed for 1976 ‘02’s. Per my 1976 edition of the parts manual, the part number was 12 11 1 359 874. But the modern number, such as Roger’s tii used, might well be different. I wonder if the new (top) cap might fit a CA-only distributor...

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

The difference I'm seeing is the top cap is for a dist that has the location tab that extends from the dist body and the lower one has a notch machined into the dist body. AFAIK all you need is the one that fits the type of distributor you have other than that no difference between the years.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Hi there

Blunt tech has the bottom one.........In fact I bought two of them...But, i need/use the top one.  I traded one of them with Steve Moran BMW Berkeley..I can trade my remaining one with you, if you'd like.  PM me with a shipping address. I'll send it out Monday....

Thanks

ira

5 hours ago, Robert Kyle said:

Do I have a non-1976 dizzy?

how do we know? You need to tell us what you dizzy you got then we can tell you. Between Steve and me which have 76 " 49 version and Jon 76 who has 76 calif could help you out.  

• Like 1

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10

ECS sent you the wrong part.

Tom will know, but that half- moon cutout looks VW to me.

It used to be that if you had the tab sticking up, you ordered the

cap for a '69, and if you had a notch, a '74 cap worked.

But it's possible that the parts chain is now sending the wrong part.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

16 minutes ago, TobyB said:

Tom will know, but that half- moon cutout looks VW to me.

Every single VW I owned came with a replacement distributor that took the later style cap, with a built in tab, not a notch.  They all had the 009 Bosch installed, so I don't know whether any used the notched style that has that cutout where the condenser plug sits.  That cutout is common on the early style BMW Bosch distributors that have the tab on the body.

I'll bet ten bucks that the cap that is on your distributor now is just fine.  "Tune-ups" always seem to include cap/rotor/points/condenser, but I suspect we are throwing away perfectly good parts.  When you consider how the new parts quality has gone downhill, I think you might be better off installing lightly used vintage parts in some cases.  Newness is overrated. 

Edited by '76mintgrün'02
  • Like 2