• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Craigslist Ad for "1972 tii"

02Les

41 minutes ago, coloincaalpine said:

This guy walked nose first into a hornets nest here.      LMAO

+1

But just wait, Dan. A new owner will appear here four months from now saying, “I paid $39K for this ‘72 tii three months ago, but some ‘02 owners at a Cars & Coffee are suggesting it’s not a ‘72 tii. The title even says it’s a ‘72 tii. What gives?”

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

11 minutes ago, Conserv said:

+1

But just wait, Dan. A new owner will appear here four months from now saying, “I paid $39K for this ‘72 three months ago, but some ‘02 owners at a Cars & Coffee are suggesting it’s not a ‘72 tii. The title even says it’s a ‘72 tii. What gives?”

Best regards,

Steve

Steve,    THAT is truly the unfortunate issue here. Someone could possibly get really burned. 

-dq

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

+1

But just wait, Dan. A new owner will appear here four months from now saying, “I paid $39K for this ‘72 tii three months ago, but some ‘02 owners at a Cars & Coffee are suggesting it’s not a ‘72 tii. The title even says it’s a ‘72 tii. What gives?”

Best regards,

Steve

So true

In California the smog is the responsibility of the seller.

I know shops in So CA where $200 will buy you a clean smog emailed to the dmv.

My question is despite all the insulting seller statements what's it worth?

Could there be value for the educated buyer at the right price? 

4 hours ago, gary32 said:

In California the smog is the responsibility of the seller.

I know shops in So CA where $200 will buy you a clean smog emailed to the dmv.

My question is despite all the insulting seller statements what's it worth?

Could there be value for the educated buyer at the right price? 

The answer, Gary, is that, of course, this car has some real value. But many car buyers, certainly myself included, simply won’t purchase a car with an altered VIN, so that knocks out a good number of potential buyers.

If this car has a title showing it to be a 1972 tii, I believe everyone reading this will recognize that this is not a 1972 tii. I’m guessing the only physical component of the car suggesting the title’s VIN of 2761619 is that round taillight steering column cover with the tii’s VIN tag.

BAT has shown us, however, that some buyers will either (a.) not recognize an obviously VIN-swapped car or (b.) not care whether a car has been VIN swapped. These people will pay real money despite the VIN swap.

Best regards,

Steve

On 9/5/2020 at 8:39 AM, AustrianVespaGuy said:

Wouldn't a look at the vin stamped on the frame on the right side fender answer a lot of these questions REAL quick?

It depends on how clever the culprit is. A distinctive 1966 1600-2 chassis, in factory Bristol, appeared in a shop yard with the chassis VIN excised (first two photos). By sheer coincidence, there was a freshly re-painted later car inside the shop with the VIN of... wait for it... a 1966 Bristol 1600-2 (third and fourth photos). ???

So an examination of the chassis VIN might tell the story, or might conceal the story.

Regards,

Steve

8D387D5D-65FE-4D4A-994B-1E1AB706A3A0.jpeg

53111323-0532-4388-9ECA-D378810BF0E9.jpeg

B098B935-7D70-4665-A855-A716E0723475.jpeg

B29E6535-45BA-40DB-B813-FB257F42F130.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/4/2020 at 11:16 PM, Conserv said:

The answer, Gary, is that, of course, this car has some real value. But many car buyers, certainly myself included, simply won’t purchase a car with an altered VIN, so that knocks out a good number of potential buyers.

If this car has a title showing it to be a 1972 tii, I believe everyone reading this will recognize that this is not a 1972 tii. I’m guessing the only physical component of the car suggesting the title’s VIN of 2761619 is that round taillight steering column cover with the tii’s VIN tag.

BAT has shown us, however, that some buyers will either (a.) not recognize an obviously VIN-swapped car or (b.) not care whether a car has been VIN swapped. These people will pay real money despite the VIN swap.

Best regards,

Steve

False statements and blatant lies absolute yes.

Maybe the seller bought thinking bargain and not knowing the real vin or maybe he's a crook.

But until someone looks at and compares all the vin stampings you would have no idea what this car really is.

I'm saying someone shopping for potential value she might be worth a drive to Valencia the car won't lie.

53 minutes ago, gary32 said:

Maybe the seller bought thinking bargain and not knowing the real vin or maybe he's a crook.

But until someone looks at and compares all the vin stampings you would have no idea what this car really is.

I'm saying someone shopping for potential value she might be worth a drive to Valencia the car won't lie.

But, Gary, before you even climb all over this car, how would you explain that the car — bearing all square taillight indicia, e.g., nosepiece, tailpiece, big bumpers, big-bumper bracket supports in the front, relay rack on left inner fender, and no indicators of a 1972 tii, e.g., airbox brackets, firewall notch, fuel injection — was advertised as a 1976 2002 as recently as June 2020, a description that fits it to the “T”? 

We haven’t a clue whether the seller has a clue. But the guilt or innocence of the seller doesn’t make the car more or less attractive, or more or less valuable. Indeed, someone should check this car out in person. If the stamped chassis VIN, on the outside edge of the right inner fender, reads “2761619”, I’m fairly confident that this car, like the Bristol 1966 1600-2 above has received a VIN transplant...

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, gary32 said:

Love the optimism ?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Conserv said:

But, Gary, before you even climb all over this car, how would you explain that the car — bearing all square taillight indicia, e.g., nosepiece, tailpiece, big bumpers, big-bumper bracket supports in the front, relay rack on left inner fender, and no indicators of a 1972 tii, e.g., airbox brackets, firewall notch, fuel injection — was advertised as a 1976 2002 as recently as June 2020, a description that fits it to the “T”? 

We haven’t a clue whether the seller has a clue. But the guilt or innocence of the seller doesn’t make the car more or less attractive, or more or less valuable. Indeed, someone should check this car out in person. If the stamped chassis VIN, on the outside edge of the right inner fender, reads “2761619”, I’m fairly confident that this car, like the Bristol 1966 1600-2 above has received a VIN transplant...

Best regards,

Steve

Steve she's looks like a clean 76 the vin and ti badge are total blatant lies.

Hard to find a clean 76 despite some really objectionable finish choices what's she worth?

The smog is a bargaining chip for the educated buyer as is the vin trail on title could be an opportunity or walk away.

Not every buyer needs or wants to pay for and preserve a perfect rare roundie unicorn.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gary32 said:

Steve she's looks like a clean 76 the vin and ti badge are total blatant lies.

Hard to find a clean 76 despite some really objectionable finish choices what's she worth?

The smog is a bargaining chip for the educated buyer as is the vin trail on title could be an opportunity or walk away.

Not every buyer needs or wants to pay for and preserve a perfect rare roundie unicorn.

We’re on the same page, Gary!

Best regards,

Steve