• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is This Beautiful...or What!

PaulTWinterton

Sure there are some nitpicky liberties taken by the restorer, but overall this car appears to be built with love.  No pictures of the underside, but I'll bet it glows.

Ceylon is gorgeous IMHO.

http://silverarrowcars.com/cars/1973-bmw-2002tii/?fbclid=IwAR0bgqI8N1BRNvHNY_-Sd80ptSn5HS9Kk2qMHMeHT4ozCCImeYosWu23bnY

Let the purists rant.  I love this car!

EDIT: OMG!  I just noticed this car is in Victoria, BC, Canada, just a ferry ride away from me.

Edited by PaulTWinterton
  • Like 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Ceylon is such a rad color!  I had to do a double-take because I saw the Ceylon 72tii go on BaT last week and thought this was the same car but this is a 73...and appears about a nice as one could make it holy smokes!

re: Silver Arrow, they're currently listing a 57 300SL Gullwing on BaT that had a near 7 figure opening bid and have quite the sales history on there:

https://bringatrailer.com/member/silverarrowcarsltd/

The euro 72tii and the 73 3.0CSL they sold recently were pretty slick rides too.

This car, VIN 2763852, is a well-known car, the first (or so) restoration undertaken by The Werk Shop, ca. 2002. The car was in the Icon exhibit at the BMW CCA Foundation and is shown and described in The Icon: 50 Years of the 2002, page 70.

Yes, its beautiful!

Best regards,

Steve

9C19BACA-E6C9-4DA1-891C-D83DD60F9B3F.jpeg

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I would suggest that you may want to temper your enthusiasm. This vendor has somewhat of a checkered past. There have been a few cars sold on BaT that have drawn some criticism for his lack of attention to their restorations.  This cars does look great but not seeing underside pics prompts a question as to why.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulTWinterton said:

If it's relative to the rest of the work, it's probably been reset at restoration completion. My guess.

If that is the case, that should be clearly stated.  It is unlikely that there any 2002’s with that low of mileage, but it is possible. A ‘73 tii with that actual mileage would be very valuable. 

Just to be clear, the car is as shiny on the underside as it is on top. I looked at it closely in Greer, SC, when it was on display. This car and a Ceylon twin (restomoded) underwent money-no-object ground-up restorations in 2001-2002. This car, although a factory Ceylon example, was red and well-traveled at the time it was purchased for restoration. I’m confident the odometers were reset to zero at the time of the restorations and the mileage reflects actual mileage since. I believe this has been largely a show car since its restoration (happy to be corrected if I’m wrong).

While, as a “purist”, many details of the car do, in fact, make me rant — this is not how the car looked when it rolled off the assembly line — this is an expensively-redone and fabulously-maintained example. It is gorgeous. If your dream ‘02 is “better than new” and you don’t care whether your seats have the correct number of pleats, this is your dream car! I’m betting the asking price is less than the cost of duplicating this car. The gentleman who commissioned the restorations sold this example in 2014 and the current seller, in Calgary, has owned it since 2014.

I don’t want to violate copyright laws — at least not with respect to the Icon catalogue! ?. Text and artistic photos on pages 70-73!

Regards,

Steve

6 hours ago, Conserv said:

This car, VIN 2763852, is a well-known car, the first (or so) restoration undertaken by The Werk Shop, ca. 2002. The car was in the Icon exhibit at the BMW CCA Foundation and is shown and described in The Icon: 50 Years of the 2002, page 70.

Yes, its beautiful!

Best regards,

Steve

9C19BACA-E6C9-4DA1-891C-D83DD60F9B3F.jpeg

Still in the "Werk Shops" website. https://www.thewerkshop.com/?cars=2002-show-car

At one time the donor car was said to be red (Verona?).......is this not the case?

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

57 minutes ago, 02Les said:

Still in the "Werk Shops" website. https://www.thewerkshop.com/?cars=2002-show-car

At one time the donor car was said to be red (Verona?).......is this not the case?

Yes, Les. It was reportedly a factory Ceylon car color-changed at some point to red (no mention of anything more specific than red). And it was red when it was purchased for the restoration. This history is recounted In the Icon catalogue write-up.

Best regards,

Steve