• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 2002 turned 51 last wek

DakarDoug

By the build date, you have one of the first US 1970 automatics off the assembly line.  With model year production generally conceded to begin on 1 Sept, you have an early one.  

In my unending quest for accuracy, does anyone know of an automatic built closer to 1 Sept 1969?  I had the changeover pegged at 2531022, but that was an extrapolated figure.  Roundie automatics for the US were made in penny numbers--only 4800 or so between their introduction in mid-year 1969 and the end of roundie production in August 1973--and none were produced in all of 1971.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

12 minutes ago, steve oneill said:

I have an April 76 square light. Any idea how many automatics like mine were built from 74-76?

Your suspicions are correct.  There were a lot more automatics built in the later years of '02 production:

3429 in 1974, 2692 in 1975 and 3292 in 1976.  Those numbers are model year production (1 Sep-31 Aug) rather than calendar year.  We know those numbers are accurate, because BMW used a different VIN series in all three years, (428/238/239XXXX) while all roundie automatics shared the same VIN series, 253XXXX.  

mike

• Like 1

Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Interesting, 9,000 square tails with slush versus 4800 for roundies. Seems to me the audience was shifting(no pun intended) to a slightly different demographic by the mid-seventies.  

My theory, as people like me start buying 2002's the 15% penalty for automatics will be erased. Perhaps they may even, oh hereoisy, sell for a slight premium.  And as fewer and fewer people know how to drive stick that will contribute to the automatic's desirability also.

And...installing an E21 5 speed in an automatic body shell is a bit easier because the tunnel housing is larger, thus obviating the need for percussive alterations.  But, you'll need to find a stick shift pedal box, flywheel and clutch assembly, a clutch master cylinder and its plumbing, and a stick shift brake fluid reservoir with the side nipple for the clutch's brake fluid supply line.  

mike

Funny how they did things back in the 70s.  All of the numbers for my car point to it being a 1969, including the date it was completed, but because it was sold in 1970, it is a 1970 car.  By the way, I have owned her for 21 years and she is as pretty as she is in my profile pic.  May make some cringe but when I got her, the kick down cable was broken which meant zero acceleration.  Due to difficulties getting parts, I swapped to a 5 speed.  

7 minutes ago, DakarDoug said:

All of the numbers for my car point to it being a 1969, including the date it was completed, but because it was sold in 1970, it is a 1970 car. 

Your car is actually a 1970 model year production car.  In the US (generally speaking) a car manufactured after 1 September is officially the next year's model.  The confusion factor with BMW is that they go by calendar year (1 Jan-31 Dec) rather than model year (1 Sep - 31 Aug).  So to BMW, you have a 1969 car; to your dealer, the DMV and you, it's a '70.  Your car was assembled on 12 Sept 1969, making it one of the first 1970 model year automatics off the line.  

Since '69 and '70 2002s are nearly identical except for the VIN, a better example would be a 2002 built in October 1973.  It would have square tail lights, diving board bumpers, faux wood trim around the instruments--and a VIN beginning with 422XXXX (vs a 259XXXX VIN of a model year 73).  We all know that the first squarelights were '74 models--but to the factory, that car is counted as 1973 production because it was actually assembled in October 1973

My December 1972 built 2002 is clearly a model year '73 car, with the '73 bumpers and other required Federal changes from the '72s, but the factory counts it as a 1972 production car due to its build date.  But it's titled as a '73.  

mike

2002 minutia 101

• Like 1