• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slippery slope rear subframe rebuild.

Golfcar

I'm new here and recently bought a Golf Tii. 

It came with a bad diff

Got a diff locally but in the process of taking the diff out the slippery slope came into play. 

During Covid I helped a friend do all this to his Tii so I had some experience. 

I also have rebuilt an E9 in the last 4 years and had that experience. 

As a senior experience is something I have with cars. 

All the parts are here but here is the first photo of all the subframe pieces that I had powder coated. 

More to come. 

Gary 

IMG_3302.jpg

• Like 5

You do realize, Gary, that once you’ve done this to the rear subframe, your car’s front subframe is suddenly going to look kinda shabby?... ??

Regards,

Steve

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

In the military, this is called "mission creep." 

The battalion commander tells the company commander, "take out that machine gun nest on the hillside."  Then it's, "and take the hill while you're at it."  to finally, "there's a village just beyond the hill, might as well clear and occupy it since you'll be in the area."  

First the rear subframe, then the front subframe.  Then a "quick overhaul" on the engine.  And while the engine is out, might as well repaint the engine compartment.  Now the body looks shabby, so a nice repaint.  The shiny new paint makes the old trim and bumpers look bad, so new trim, and re-chrome the bumpers.  You've gone this far, so new carpets and reupholstery are in order.  

So what started out as refurbishing the subframe is now a complete restoration....

That's mission creep.  But it'll be fun!

mike

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Wow, looking great/fantastic.  Even the body looks good. Was the car just repainted? 

Nice exhaust, is this an S14 car? 

I did all this to my E9 in the last 4 years and I guess I enjoyed it so much I couldn't stop. 

Thanks for the photos. 

59 minutes ago, Mike Self said:

In the military, this is called "mission creep." 

The battalion commander tells the company commander, "take out that machine gun nest on the hillside."  Then it's, "and take the hill while you're at it."  to finally, "there's a village just beyond the hill, might as well clear and occupy it since you'll be in the area."  

First the rear subframe, then the front subframe.  Then a "quick overhaul" on the engine.  And while the engine is out, might as well repaint the engine compartment.  Now the body looks shabby, so a nice repaint.  The shiny new paint makes the old trim and bumpers look bad, so new trim, and re-chrome the bumpers.  You've gone this far, so new carpets and reupholstery are in order.  

So what started out as refurbishing the subframe is now a complete restoration....

That's mission creep.  But it'll be fun!

mike

Mike,

Just did that on my E9. 

Making this car mechanically sound and have fun with it. 

No body and paint for a while. 

The E9 cleaned out the bank account. BTW it's insured with Hagerty for $125000 and I did all the work myself. 

7 minutes ago, rudolpholaspari2002 said:

Nice! What's powdercoating running down in your area? Getting some insane quotes up here in Seattle right now on my front parts and the rear is next!

Everything in the photo was $135.00 

Great shop I have been using for years. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Back together mode has arrived after cleaning, priming and painting the rear under body from front of subframe to rear of car. 

New used diff, all pieces powder coated, new bushings, new bearings. 

Rebuilt CV joints, new boots and grease. Powder coated shafts and housings. 

Removed fuel pump and cleaned and painted, new rubber gas lines, new clamps, better disconnect at fuel pump. 

IMG_3084.JPG

IMG_3313.JPG

IMG_3436.JPG

IMG_3497.JPG

IMG_3508.JPG

IMG_3549.JPG

IMG_3550.JPG

IMG_3559.JPG

• Like 5