• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help identifying this year 02!

Evanito

Hello All! 

New here- would would to get some knowledgeable insight here. Looking to identify the year/ trim of this car.  It looks to be the early 058 paint code though I could be mistaken.

I am slightly thrown by the wipers and front bumper. 

Apologies for the terrible image quality and thanks for you input!

Evan 

Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 1.02.02 PM.png

If that's the original licence plate, then it was 1st registered between 1 Aug 1970 and 31 July 1971.

The bumper (overriders) is earlier though. Like my RHD Touring, it was built/delivered to UK in Nov '73, but not sold until Sep '74.

So it could well be a 1969.

Let us know the VIN and we can tell you the year.

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

It is obviously a NON US spec car (right hand drive would be the 1st give away)  This means that side marker lights and larger bumpers would not be there even in later years.  The other one is this is at least a 47 year old car, I would not assume that the color, bumpers or grills are original.   

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

18 hours ago, 02Les said:

If that's the original licence plate, then it was 1st registered between 1 Aug 1970 and 31 July 1971.

The bumper (overriders) is earlier though. Like my RHD Touring, it was built/delivered to UK in Nov '73, but not sold until Sep '74.

So it could well be a 1969.

Let us know the VIN and we can tell you the year.

It’s certainly a pre-Modell 71 car, Modell 71 representing a substantial upgrade to the ‘02 that occurred in April 1971: long-tail rear bumpers, bumper rub strips front and rear, knee trim, long console, revised instrument faces, 12-fuse fuse holder, etc. So although the overall car is pre-April 1971, the presence of the trapezoid mirror — introduced with the Modell 71 — and early Euro bumperettes suggest this car is not entirely original. The lack of headrests would suggest pre-1969, which is at odds with Les’s registration data. Again, this car, like most 50-year-old cars, is an assemblage of components from various years. The blacked-out grilles, introduced with the new 2002 model in early 1968, don’t even, in my mind, ensure that this is a 2002; the grilles could have been changed. Only the VIN will reveal the real story!

And, yes, I agree with Mark’s identification of the current color as Bristol.

As everyone else has said:

1. Get the VIN. 
2. Email the VIN to BMW Group Archives, requesting their data on the car (info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com)

3. Get the response email from Archives and share it with us. Not only will it provide the manufacturing date, it will also provide the factory exterior color!

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)