• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rely acquire 2002, no top speed.

Littleeagle28

1974 2002 double input single carb.  Drove car for first time, goes ok to about 50ish ( not sure as speedo doesn't work) then foot to floor then slows down (lack of fuel?).  Picks up again when foot off of the accelerator, and can drive again.  Tried pressing accelerator to floor, then slows down again around 50 or 60, not sure of real speed, because of speedo issue.

Anybody come accross this before?

I am assuming you have the stock carburetor?  If you take off from a start and give it full throttle does it run through the RPM range OK?  If so then fuel delivery is probably your problem.  If it falls on it's face anytime you open the second throttle plate you might have a clogged jet in the carburetor on the secondary side.  

• Like 1

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

+2 for fuel supply.

Common causes are dirt in the tank and a clogged pickup screen at the bottom of the sender,

and air leaks in the fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump.

Also, all the usual 'clogged fuel filter' sorts of things.

And junk getting into the fuel pump.

I think I've had some variant of this problem on every carburetted car I've ever owned...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Water in the fuel. Happened to me once when I filled up at a real cheap gas station. I could drive along at 40mph, but no faster until I put real gas in it.

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

31 minutes ago, TobyB said:

air leaks in the fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump.

Yes, and the best thing to do is change all rubber fuel hoses starting in the trunk.  You should also check the nylon sleeve on the fuel sender unit in the gas tank.  This is a very common and often overlooked part that allows the fuel pump to suck air instead of fuel.

If you need one, let me know and I'll send one to you.

Fuel Sender Tube Bushing (1).jpg

• Like 1

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

44 minutes ago, Preyupy said:

I am assuming you have the stock carburetor?  If you take off from a start and give it full throttle does it run through the RPM range OK?  If so then fuel delivery is probably your problem.  If it falls on it's face anytime you open the second throttle plate you might have a clogged jet in the carburetor on the secondary side.  

I believe it is stock.  Yes, seems to run through rpm ( don't have a rev counter though).  Is there a set up tutorial for the stock carb anywhere I can find, thanks?

4 minutes ago, halboyles said:

Yes, and the best thing to do is change all rubber fuel hoses starting in the trunk.  You should also check the nylon sleeve on the fuel sender unit in the gas tank.  This is a very common and often overlooked part that allows the fuel pump to suck air instead of fuel.

If you need one, let me know and I'll send one to you.

Fuel Sender Tube Bushing (1).jpg

I will check this also tomorrow.  Thanks for the offer of the nylon sleeve, however may be to costly to send to the UK, sadly.

Coupla additional suggestions if you're still having trouble...

Presumption:  you have a two barrel carb (if you have a 1 barrel, the following won't help)

1.  2 Barrel Solex:  sounds like the second barrel isn't opening.  It's vacuum operated via a diaphragm inside that round container that sits on the side of the carb.  If the diaphragm has a hole in it, engine vacuum won't allow the second barrel to open, so you essentially have a very small one barrel carb.  You'll need to replace that diaphragm; hopefully they're available in the UK.  Not sure if they are here.

2.  2 Barrel Weber:  there's either something wrong with the mechanical linkage that opens the second barrel (a link or cotter pin has fallen out) or the spray nozzle (the "bridge" that goes across the carb throat that gas sprays out of) was reinstalled backwards so no gas is flowing through it (I learned this the hard way!) or it's otherwise clogged so there's no gas flow to the second barrel.

If the previous suggestions don't cure the problem, check the carb's second barrel operation.  The symptoms you describe sound like only the primary barrel is opening, and above 50 mph the primary carb throat is just too small for the engine.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

3 hours ago, Mike Self said:

Coupla additional suggestions if you're still having trouble...

Presumption:  you have a two barrel carb (if you have a 1 barrel, the following won't help)

1.  2 Barrel Solex:  sounds like the second barrel isn't opening.  It's vacuum operated via a diaphragm inside that round container that sits on the side of the carb.  If the diaphragm has a hole in it, engine vacuum won't allow the second barrel to open, so you essentially have a very small one barrel carb.  You'll need to replace that diaphragm; hopefully they're available in the UK.  Not sure if they are here.

2.  2 Barrel Weber:  there's either something wrong with the mechanical linkage that opens the second barrel (a link or cotter pin has fallen out) or the spray nozzle (the "bridge" that goes across the carb throat that gas sprays out of) was reinstalled backwards so no gas is flowing through it (I learned this the hard way!) or it's otherwise clogged so there's no gas flow to the second barrel.

If the previous suggestions don't cure the problem, check the carb's second barrel operation.  The symptoms you describe sound like only the primary barrel is opening, and above 50 mph the primary carb throat is just too small for the engine.

mike

Thanks Mike,

Sounds like great fault finding.  Sunny day yesterday, cats and dogs today, will get to it probably at the weekend.

Also noticed the dampeners are not secured to the top of the struts inside the boot on both dampeners, and probable why it sounds like a box full of spanners fallen into a skip, when driving ( I thought it was just the amount of potholes here?).  So will be re- attaching them as well? this weekend.

Any video tutorials you know of on you tube etc,that may help with carb assembly?

Thanks again.

arnie

how long was this car sitting before you tried to drive it?  sounds like it has a whole box full of issues. you are going to need to do a lot of work.  start using the search function on this site to look for answers.

before just filling it with new gas, i hope you drained the old gas out of the tank and system,  replaced all the hoses, replaced the fuel filter  and cleaned the carb jets......

they are also "dampers", not "dampeners".

Edited by M2M3

2xM3

2 hours ago, M2M3 said:

Unless referencing the aforementioned 'cats and dogs.'  Then they are, in fact, dampeners.

*Sorry Marshall.  It's a bad joke, I didn't sleep well, and have had one sip of coffee.  And I've made that correction myself more than a hundred times to people- so much so that I don't even bother to correct them anymore.  And it wouldn't be the first time I've been accused of thinking something was funny when it wasn't.  So thank for making an opportunity for me to feel funny.  :)  But speaking of which, I did get the rebuild kits for some Advanced Design (GC) 2 way adjustable proper dampers, which I found in Canadia for 100 bucks...  Probably ought to put those together- bet they work better than the single adjustable Konis...  Thanks for reminding me.

• Haha 1

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

2 hours ago, M2M3 said:

how long was this car sitting before you tried to drive it?  sounds like it has a whole box full of issues. you are going to need to do a lot of work.  start using the search function on this site to look for answers.

before just filling it with new gas, i hope you drained the old gas out of the tank and system,  replaced all the hoses, replaced the fuel filter  and cleaned the carb jets......

Dampers, it is my dyslexia kicking in, apologies.

The chap who sold it, said he had emptied old fuel (but they probably all say that).

I need to get into the carb (got to identify it first). The fuel lines all look newish, much to do alright.

Thanks.