• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'73 Tii Exhaust Finishes

gsshack

A PO removed the heat shield & replaced the manifold & downpipe with a long tube header - the remainder of the system is an OEM Ebersbacher in good condition with minimal surface rust.  I'm replacing the header with a stock manifold & downpipe & adding the exhaust shield.

After searching/reading on the forum, my thoughts on the finish for the various pieces are as follows, your thoughts/input will be appreciated.

Manifold - Jet-Hot ceramic coating in Cast Iron (Color 2038)

Heat Shield - Jet-Hot ceramic coating in Satin Black (Color 2002)

Downpipe & Ebersbacher System - VHT Flat/Matte Grey (Color SP104) - for those that have used this paint, did you use the VHT Grey Primer (Color SP100) prior to painting?

Thanks,

Steve

'72 Golf Tii

That sounds good to me, Steve!

For my ‘76 (and probably for the upcoming ‘73), I used the Jet-Hot cast iron on the manifold and downpipe, and did not bother to paint the exhaust beyond the downpipe (here in the Northeast, I view exhaust components as frequent replacement items). The ‘73 (a tii) has not yet had its engine re-done, but before installing its missing heat shield, I had the NOS shield re-done in satin black high temperature powder coating. There’s no downside — other than cost, probably — to Jet-Hot for the heat shield. But high temperature powdercoating might be fine for the heat shield. The ‘73’s heat shield looks like new 5 years later, but the car hasn’t been driven or run enough to make it a valid long-term test of the powdercoating.

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

@Conserv - thanks Steve, I thought about the Jet Hot cast iron on the downpipe but couldn't find any photos to get a good sense of how it would look.  Do you by chance have a photo of your '76 Tii that shows this area.

Thanks,

Steve

'72 Golf Tii

11 hours ago, gsshack said:

@Conserv - thanks Steve, I thought about the Jet Hot cast iron on the downpipe but couldn't find any photos to get a good sense of how it would look.  Do you by chance have a photo of your '76 Tii that shows this area.

Thanks,

Steve

Sorry, Steve,

Especially on my 49-state ‘76, where there is A/C, the larger aluminum upper heat shield, and a second, lower heat shield (1975-76 only) to protect the suspension components from exhaust heat (it was factory implemented for the thermal reactor exhaust manifolds, but installed even on the 49-state ‘76 version like mine, which had no thermal reactor), you really cannot view the downpipe from above. In the second photo below, you can see this lower heat shield poking out from under the upper aluminum heat shield, beginning around the number 2 spark plug and running aftward. You have to get under the center of the car to even see the downpipe.

If this juxtaposition is somewhat the case on the tii — i.e., the downpipe is primarily visible from underneath — you might want to make the case that the downpipe should match the exhaust system’s finish and ignore the exhaust manifold’s finish. This goes back to your original idea. When my ‘76’s engine was being rebuilt in 2012, I focused on the exhaust manifold and downpipe as a “pair” — separate and apart from the car — and didn’t really give any thought as to when, how, or even if the two components would be visible together.

My ‘73 just went off for an engine overhaul and I suppose I have to revisit the downpipe refinishing concept! The third (last) photo below shows my ‘73. Its A/C hoses and compressor are removed currently, but they will return and fill in this picture, a bit. Nonetheless, the smaller sheet-metal heat shield of a tii does permit one to capture a couple glimpses of the exhaust manifold and downpipe from above — but not too many.

Best regards,

Steve C.

51C24D15-7E9A-4C85-9505-42231FA806E0.jpeg

449B1B7B-DEB8-45AE-9937-C7FFA6227F95.jpeg

B633A4F0-F2D7-46C1-8F26-AABC928D4C16.jpeg

1 hour ago, John76 said:

73 Inka Tii #2762958

Hey Paul,

Is that an extra ground strap on the trans bracket?

Or wiring for the mysterious neutral start switch?

Best regards,

Steve

I don't know the "correct" color, but I had my TII manifold and complete exhaust done in Jet Hot's Titanium color.... its a matte silver finish.  The sales rep said it was the best matching color to the painted finish that came on the new Ebersbacher parts I sent in.  The downpipe was sold in a matte black color but I had the whole system done in Titanium color because I got a better rate from Jet Hot.  

I had the heat shield and hanger bracket done in Satin Black.  Get the bracket done because the paint tends to burn off and cause rust.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

FWIW I bought an NOS shield and it is semigloss black. 

correct

IMG_1724.jpg

• Like 1

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?