• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thinking about doing a K24a2 swap.

MolyZoky

31 minutes ago, Georges said:

How involved is a subframe swap?

I’m honestly not too sure on the front, the rear can be done with offset bushings supposedly. I was just going to buy an E30 subframe on eBay and compare it to my 2002 one. Should hopefully know in the next couple months. Project has been moving slow between my day job, being a new dad, and helping my buddy out at his shop on the weekends, but I’m grateful!

AB1F38EA-F939-46BE-86FE-CF69D61F0896.jpeg

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, donttellymwiferacing said:

I’m honestly not too sure on the front, the rear can be done with offset bushings supposedly. I was just going to buy an E30 subframe on eBay and compare it to my 2002 one. Should hopefully know in the next couple months. Project has been moving slow between my day job, being a new dad, and helping my buddy out at his shop on the weekends, but I’m grateful!

AB1F38EA-F939-46BE-86FE-CF69D61F0896.jpeg

Pantera, nice!

• 1 month later...

Hi All, I've been working on this swap as well but only found this thread recently. I'm using the Kpower oilpan, adapter plate, and G260 transmission with a 04-06 K24A2. I didn't have scanned models when I started my build but ran into a lot of the same issues highlighted by the cad model done by manimal. Lessons learned so far:

1. Kpower pan fits, but its clearance is a bit tight.
2. The OEM battery tray has to go.
3. The waterpump thermostat housing interferes with the oem steering box motor mount
4. I removed the oem subframe side motor mount

The current issue I have run into is that the center steering drag link interferes with the adapter plate right where the transmission needs to go. I am thinking of looking into making a custom  u shape center link that puts the drag link in front of the adapter plate. The E12 center drag link has a similar type of design. Hope this helps anyone else working on this swap.

Sophia-13.jpg

Sophia-14.jpg

Sophia-15.jpg

Sophia-16.jpg

• Like 5

Good on you for all the effort you put into this project, very informative. 

The K may be better than an F but it's so much more work. 

Best wishes I can't wait to see the end result 

Photos for reference:

F in place no bulkhead cutting:

119063012_3348630201852021_2825466943196648924_o.thumb.jpg.1b9628c313ae62a0c2fdc4b70a84fb87.jpg

F Header top half 

IMG_E3685.thumb.JPG.9a801cc5b13876550b8214a7140a75e6.JPG

Modified E30 Driveshaft 

FODQ5393.thumb.JPG.979614320574ba6fa30bf47c91673a37.JPG

Modifying Tunnel for F 6 speed Transmission with 3 cuts to tunnel:

QJTE0208.thumb.JPG.2aa096f4e01d201e30c013552764d2dc.JPG

Interior Tunnel Done:

Tunnel.thumb.jpg.a39bb8b811e09ae6b887fb83609b6d22.jpg

• Like 2

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been thinking about this for a potential future project. Lada 1200 Combi…don’t ask.

Anyway, my cost analysis suggested that with everything required to make the K work longitudinally, you might as well just get the F motor and trans.  By the time you get the adapter for the tranny, RWD intake manifold, exhaust, and stand alone engine management, you have a lot of cost sunk before you even get to rest of the stuff that always makes a swap so expensive.  

The F is relatively simple to install, already setup for RWD, and pumps out equal HP.  They aren’t cheap, but they’re a perfect solution for small RWD cars. If I end up doing a Lada, it’ll be either an F motor or a built & blown M42. 

5 hours ago, Lucky 7 said:

I’ve been thinking about this for a potential future project. Lada 1200 Combi…don’t ask.

Anyway, my cost analysis suggested that with everything required to make the K work longitudinally, you might as well just get the F motor and trans.  By the time you get the adapter for the tranny, RWD intake manifold, exhaust, and stand alone engine management, you have a lot of cost sunk before you even get to rest of the stuff that always makes a swap so expensive.  

The F is relatively simple to install, already setup for RWD, and pumps out equal HP.  They aren’t cheap, but they’re a perfect solution for small RWD cars. If I end up doing a Lada, it’ll be either an F motor or a built & blown M42. 

Funny I’m just reading this thread today.  Pictures from Sunday Cars and Coffee. My 69 2002 next to a bone stock 77 Lada 1300. Owner bought it from a diplomat.

IMG_9916.jpeg

IMG_9917.jpeg

• Like 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I did the F swap (and love it) but I still think K is the way to go. Let's assume the final price is the same for both. If I blow a K I can get another in town for under $2,000. If I blow my 17 year old F22C I'm screwed. 

Edited by Georges

engine small.jpg

3 hours ago, jgerock said:

Funny I’m just reading this thread today.  Pictures from Sunday Cars and Coffee. My 69 2002 next to a bone stock 77 Lada 1300. Owner bought it from a diplomat.

IMG_9916.jpeg

IMG_9917.jpeg

That’s super cool, rare sighting in the US. I’ve seen plenty in Europe, but never here. I assume I’ll have to import one if I actually decide to do it. Since they’re not well loved and the 5th most widely produced car ever, it seemed like a good base for unrestrained modification and learning. 

8B514874-45EE-4A47-BF2A-DB6015DEFEEF.jpeg.5924a0d1d0642e21cc678c032c10d493.jpeg

My concept at the moment is motor swap, supercharger, complete Miata suspension swap, a ton of bodywork metal shaping, custom electronics/management/gauges, and more. It would be a lot to learn, but problem solving and fabrication are where I had the most fun on my 2002

Thanks for the pic, fun to see one in the wild!👍

2 hours ago, Lucky 7 said:

That’s super cool, rare sighting in the US. I’ve seen plenty in Europe, but never here. I assume I’ll have to import one if I actually decide to do it. Since they’re not well loved and the 5th most widely produced car ever, it seemed like a good base for unrestrained modification and learning. 

8B514874-45EE-4A47-BF2A-DB6015DEFEEF.jpeg.5924a0d1d0642e21cc678c032c10d493.jpeg

My concept at the moment is motor swap, supercharger, complete Miata suspension swap, a ton of bodywork metal shaping, custom electronics/management/gauges, and more. It would be a lot to learn, but problem solving and fabrication are where I had the most fun on my 2002

Thanks for the pic, fun to see one in the wild!👍

Cool concept!  There was a 2nd Lada at that Cars and Coffee.  Later model one with square headlights. I didn’t take a photo of it.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

On 9/4/2023 at 5:08 PM, Georges said:

Rami,

If you used a S2000 tranny do you think it would solve the drag link problem?

I believe that would work better, at least going off of manimals posted cad, however since I already had the G260 and adapter I figured I'd try try the drop link mod first.

• Like 1