• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thinking about doing a K24a2 swap.

MolyZoky

• 3 months later...

I was checking out the K24 after watching a lot of MotoIQ. The K-swap solves a couple of problems.  Blowing up my good M10 and blowing up my Getrag. 

K24 is the best bang for the buck.  Even if you compare the prices to a S14, you can make 1000hp for half the cost.  There are S-Tons of them, and you could likely buy a ready-made harness. 

I wonder if anyone would buy a pre-fab subframe from me?  I am trying to find a reason for getting a toy plasma table.  Make it for the K20, and K24. Bolt your old stuff on it and shove it back in.  There is just about any adapter you want for the K24.  There is a pre-built one for the RX8 transmission.

The biggest PIA is that the exhaust is on the left, not the right.  So you are fighting with the steering box. 

Maybe I just mount the transmission and see what is what. 

Just Sayn

Here is the channel. 

The dude's voice is so calming for some reason. 

https://www.youtube.com/@motoiq

• Like 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone, I just discovered this post after having accumulated a lot of information on the internet, I am starting the 3D modeling of my project, and I saw that @manimal had a 3D scan of the engine bay and a k24 , do you know where it comes from?
ps: where can I create a post to present my project and my choices? (k24a engine, gs6-53dz gearbox, e36 differential, hidden rollbar...)
Thank you for this great work that you have already started, it is with pleasure that I would make my contribution.

Edited by Sim
just ad one @

Hello Sim, and welcome. You can either start a blog in the blogs section https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/ or if you like the old format better you can make topic in the old Project blogs archive section  https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/forum/14-project-blogs-archive/  Both are ok to use. It would be interesting for sure!

...someone else to answer the real question 😉

• Thanks 1

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

On 4/10/2024 at 9:08 AM, Sim said:

Hi everyone, I just discovered this post after having accumulated a lot of information on the internet, I am starting the 3D modeling of my project, and I saw that manimal had a 3D scan of the engine bay and a k24 , do you know where it comes from?
ps: where can I create a post to present my project and my choices? (k24a engine, gs6-53dz gearbox, e36 differential, hidden rollbar...)
Thank you for this great work that you have already started, it is with pleasure that I would make my contribution.

You can tag users by using the @ sign. Like this: @manimal I believe manimal made those scans himself. Not sure on the availability of the scans. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/20/2020 at 6:55 AM, AustrianVespaGuy said:

It's specifically the slave cylinder that really gets in the way with the 245 swaps, but in general it's both pretty far forward, sorta at the ass end of the bellhousing, and also where the tunnel starts to narrow some up at the very top of the tunnel that are the tricky parts.  I'll try to draw an approximate line on your picture to help a little.  That Miata box actually looks like it might have a chance. . . but not sure about that length:

image.png

I would like to get mine mocked in the car soon, but after posting it next to the 02 4 speed, the dimensions on the NB miata (6-speed) is pretty damn close, i will have to move the shifter back 3-4" but dont think ill have to hack the tunnel too bad.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2023 at 11:56 AM, Dudeland said:

The biggest PIA is that the exhaust is on the left, not the right.  So you are fighting with the steering box. 

RHD owner somewhere in Australia sitting nodding head in empathetic agreement 😉

• Haha 1

the exhaust is on the left, not the right.

That would be a 100% dealbreaker for me.  Good Lord, talk about starting off a race with only 3 tires...

That pretty much means standing the engine straight up- or even flopping it over the other way.

Because otherwise, where do you put the... everything... on the cold side of the engine?

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

• 3 months later...

Had a chance to work on the car recently. Since the last time I touched the car a shop in Washington (22rpd) finished a k24 swap. I took some inspiration from their build and tried to mount the engine in a similar location. However, with the Kpower adapter plate the transmission ended up being clocked at the wrong angle so I reverted back to my original plan of keeping the engine at its default angle. I managed to mock up one mount which I'll work on improving. Still looking at how I will tackle the center drag link, most likely will curve the link around the engine adapter. One benefit with the 22rpd mounting angle is that the transmission appears to sit higher than mine, which appears to allow it to clear the drag link by resting above it.

WhatsAppImage2024-08-24at11_13.49PM(1).thumb.jpeg.ad73cd3cfb388d4bb17e52d0a265bee2.jpegWhatsAppImage2024-08-24at11_13_13PM(1).thumb.jpeg.b560f10de7c25de5da19f428d83b5576.jpegWhatsAppImage2024-08-24at11_13_13PM.thumb.jpeg.27ae126d50279ab2f8684deacca5ed84.jpegWhatsAppImage2024-08-24at11_13_49PM.thumb.jpeg.f8376ea8df43df947204949ceb4129e4.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-08-23 at 11.20.03 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2024-08-24 at 11.13.12 PM.jpeg

Edited by Rami88
Forgot to add text
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Robin02 said:

I think the E12 have a center link that drops down a bit, it's a bit long but maybe it can be shorted? 

or a mid 80s 7-series drag link has a drop down design from what i remember from m42 conversion challenges.

This is so much harder than a F Swap

With an F swap, you can drop the motor and transmission into the car in an afternoon and then wire and plumb it to get it running

If you have all the time and money in the world K- swap might be great, but if you want to have a fun car, I would seriously suggest another route for the average person

Swap sells the E 34 kit at $5000

Without motor mounts for your car had an additional $2500 for the average person

Center track rod:
IMG_6264.thumb.jpeg.b1a7e06999d29bfbefd3aac67b2cfad0.jpeg

Motor placement 

IMG_6294.thumb.jpeg.d6d326d21155965f4d2a5814df238a4e.jpeg

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

On 8/31/2024 at 2:11 AM, Rami88 said:

Still looking at how I will tackle the center drag link, most likely will curve the link around the engine adapter

your motor may be too far back, I think you want to be something like 5 inches in front of the firewall

I ordered the curved track rod, but it did not curve the right way

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook