• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cool little clip from Goodwood

jscaptura1

There is a pretty nice bimmer at the start of this clip, after the Galaxie passed it I just couldnt stop watching.  Man those touring car drivers will push any car, anywhere, any time!  No matter how old the cars are.  It was really fun to watch how each of those drivers had to take such different approaches around Goodwood.

• Like 4

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

Hard to tell if that is a modern historic race or "the real thing" from the 60s...the only real giveaway are the drone aerial shots.   And yes, those enormous Galaxies did race back then--very successfully.  Lessons learned:

1.  There's no substitute for cubic inches, so long as it's accompanied by handling

2.  If you're driving a Mini, drafting that Galaxie is the fastest way around the track

3.  If you're driving almost anything, that Galaxie three inches off your rear bumper is intimidating!

BTW...note the Galaxie's tail lights...look familiar?  They were the inspiration for the '02's round tail lights...

mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

9 hours ago, Mike Self said:

BTW...note the Galaxie's tail lights...look familiar?  They were the inspiration for the '02's round tail lights...

(look, Mike... Ohio plates!)

Post Image

The later Galaxie tail lights were recTangular... sound familiar?

(look, Ed... Texas plates!)

1967-Ford-Galaxie-500-Fastline-Roof-Feat

I thought round tail lights were somewhat common back then.  This Thunderbird pre-dates the Galaxie, no?

(this photo shows the one-time I've wished my tail lights were round)

033.JPG

The Thunderbird switched to rectangular lights as well.  :) 

Projects

Tom

• Haha 1

Actually Ford's round tail lights go back as early as 1952 for full-sized Fords, then the original two place T-bird in 1954.  The full-size '58's broke away from the round tail light, but only for one year with four rectangular ones, then the round ones reappeared the following year and carried on for many years afterwards in several different Ford product lines:  Falcons, T-Birds, Fairlanes, and full-sized Fords.  

If you want all the gory details of the Type 114 design, check out the Sept 2017 BMW CCA Roundel where I went into detail on some of the design features--both those left behind and those adopted.  A very interesting story.  Jackie's book also covers this.

Cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

2 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

Post Image

That's a '62 Galaxie which isn't nearly as cool as the redesigned '63 1/2. Dual Quad 427...monster

https://performance.ford.com/enthusiasts/newsroom/2018/06/1963-1-2-_r-code-galaxie.html

Jumbo 1963 Ford Galaxie 500 XL (CC-1022316) for sale in MILL HALL, Pennsylvania

I love those skinny, bias ply tires!  The race clip shows what a different beast this is in race trim. 

So cool, with a trunk you could put most of a 2002 into :)

Since we are talking about round tail lights, the Cortinas in the race clip also sport round lights.

1963 Ford Lotus Cortina FIA Race Car | Classic Driver Market | Touring car  racing, Race cars, Car

Edited by zinz
  • Like 2

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

We had one. A 63 Galaxy 500 XL, four doors. White with red interior. It was passed from our grandparents to our mother, then to my sister, then to my brother and finally to me. By the time I got it, two doors didn't open. We used to do booze cruises in that thing, flinging empty Buds into the back seat on our way to Boston. We're lucky we lived.

That poor car. Good knows what happened to it.

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

...the class of that field was he Mini Cooper...no question

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?