• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IE Distributor w/Electronics is Leaking Oil

MurphinDC

Hey everyone, looked through the archives and have followed all of the suggestions for rectifying the issue, but I'm still have the problem  I'm wondering if it has to do with the IE Distributor!

PO installed an IE Distributor w/electronics and I noticed within the first week of owning it that the distributor housing was leaking oil.  Fixed that issue and did not use RTV, just the gasket.  Noticed after that I was getting oil underneath the distributor body that was dripping on the exhaust. Pulled the distributor a second time and also removed the valve cover to see if the small hole between the rocker arm/cam area was clogged and it was clear.  Reinstalled the distributor, but did not use a new o-ring as the new one I installed had only 50 miles of use and didn't appear to show any issues.  I still see oil coming out from the holes located on the underside of the distributor.  Where my finger is in the picture below.  

I may remove the housing again, but I'm not sure that'll help.  Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Murph

Distributor.jpg

If the oil is coming from inside the body, the housing and outer O-ring have nothing to do with the problem.

The oil must be climbing up the shaft.

The OE Bosch distributors have a spiral slit cut into the shaft to keep that from happening.

The 123 does not have the slit and it tends to wick oil up also.

I don't know if the IE distributor shaft has that feature or not.  

If not, that might explain the problem you are having.

I suppose you could tie a rag around the distributor's neck to catch the drips.  :) 

Tom

• Haha 1

Thanks Tom.

I have noticed on past postings that someone from IE monitors and jumps in on conversations.  Is there someone specifically I should point to from IE that could comment on if this is a known issue or if the shaft has a slit in it without me having to take it apart? 

Thanks

Murph

4 hours ago, MurphinDC said:

I have noticed on past postings that someone from IE monitors and jumps in on conversations.  Is there someone specifically I should point to from IE that could comment on if this is a known issue or if the shaft has a slit in it without me having to take it apart?

Perhaps https://www.bmw2002faq.com/profile/35144-jireland2002/

• Like 1

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

I had an early IE dizzy that leaked past the main (exterior) O-ring. I replaced it with an OEM O-ring, but didn't help much.  I compared it to an Bosch dizzy and the placement of the O-ring groove was much higher on the IE model.  I could never keep it from leaking.  Before I replaced the whole thing, I would use a blue shop rag and zip-tie it around the base of the dizzy like a diaper.  It actually worked pretty well. 

I "think" IE changed this in later models. (mine was at least 8 years ago)

Ed

• Like 1

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

3 hours ago, zinz said:

I had an early IE dizzy that leaked past the main (exterior) O-ring. I replaced it with an OEM O-ring, but didn't help much.  I compared it to an Bosch dizzy and the placement of the O-ring groove was much higher on the IE model.  I could never keep it from leaking.  Before I replaced the whole thing, I would use a blue shop rag and zip-tie it around the base of the dizzy like a diaper.  It actually worked pretty well. 

I "think" IE changed this in later models. (mine was at least 8 years ago)

Ed

Likewise my IE dizzy purchase some 8~9 years ago leaked. I tried to fix it, then my BMW guy in San Antonio tried to fix it, but we failed. My guy asked what to do with it............dumped it in his trash can and drove home with my nearly 40 year old dizzy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17