• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"It's our policy" - quote of the day from Les Schwab Tire

A small rant if I may.  This morning I finally got around to getting an appointment at one of the many Les Schwab Tire places in town for a tire balaance. After moving the car into the work area, before he even started he asked me if I have spacers on the wheels.  I confessed the fronts have 5 mm spacers. He absolutely refused to even touch the wheels stating "It's our policy" and I would have to remove them myself and take them in later and he would do it for free.  I reminded him their tires always come w/ lifetime free re-balancing so he wasn't really doing me any favors. I asked nicely a number of times and he just flat our could not go against the policy. 

I left the shop and mentioned I wouldn't be buying any more tires from them and drove down the street to Discount Tire and they were happy almost excited to check my tires. One tire was 1 oz out and the other 1/2 oz.out. The guys at Discount Tire were really interested in the car and took a few pictures. The second shop did the re-balancing for free even though they were Les Schwab tires. I guess they don't have a spacer policy.  I'll be visiting them next time I'm in the market for tires. 

• Like 1

Forgot to mention, the re-balance solved the vibration issue approaching the interstate. Today I drove 60 smooth miles with no vibrations. Yeah, this spacer business is all new to me. I would like to think if the lug nut can be tightened 7 or 8 turns it should not be an issue.

Actually, I can't wait to change out these Schwab tires. They have horrible traction in the wet, which is what we get about 7 months out of the year.

DSC_5285.thumb.JPG.fbb25e165fc953f60ea743bcdda41e78.JPG

Edited by 7502
pic

Yes some of the Toyos are worthless on wet roads. The Company has slid a bit since Les Schwab died.  It now really depends on how good each franchise owner runs their shop. The service/results now vary from each of the several Les Schwabs in town. 

Looks like it may be the same for Discount Tire. Just have to mine your local area for which individual shop does the best work. 

Schwab still pushes Toyo tires which for the most part mediocre at best. 

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

10 minutes ago, Vicleonardo1 said:

Yes some of the Toyos are worthless on wet roads.

Schwab still pushes Toyo tires which for the most part mediocre at best. 

Well I like the R1Rs.... tho it seems they hydroplane...

https://www.tirerack.com/survey/SurveyComments.jsp?&category=tire&additionalComments=y&commentStatus=P&tireMake=Toyo&tireModel=Proxes+R1R&fromTireDetail=true&partnum=95VR5PR1RV2&tirePageLocQty=%26partnum%3D95VR5PR1RV2

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

My buddy's race car / tuning shop gets street tires through Discount Tire.  Same price as Discount, he makes a little bit, best mounting and balancing you can get, and they're happy to sell you longer studs and spacers to go with your new tires...  Other options are available.

• Like 1

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

My policy is “ hands off” when it comes to  the tire shop tightening lug nuts/bolts.  They invariably use in excess of 300 ft lbs and make it nearly impossible to remove with  tools in the trunk. 90 ft lbs is plenty for street use.

Edited by Mike A

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

1 hour ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

59-65 ft lbs is plenty , ( according to the manual ).

Tom

Had Porsche on my mind I suppose

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

But what is the reason behind the policy?  Only thing I can think of is that the spacers would cause vibration.  In any case a little explanation as to why from the employee would go a long way. 

76 BMW 2002 Arktisblau M42 5 spd - Born 5.21.76 - daily money pit * 06 Aston Martin V8 Vantage 6 spd * 73 Mustang Convertible 351C * 11 Aston Martin Rapide V12 * 15 VW Touareg * 23 Audi e-tron SUV (wife's)

sig_banner.jpg.5aeae468aebf7c560d52fe62d249efbd.jpg

Schwabby is off my list, too. 

Discount varies, but isn't terrible.

I still like Tire Rack- altho they are seldom cheapest,

they have taken good care of me when things

went wrong.

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL