• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Diff in NY?

ChuckR

Good point!

Originally, an early ‘69 (September 1968 into January 1969) had a long-neck differential while a later ‘69 (mid-January through August 1969) had a short-neck. VIN 1664751 represents the first U.S.-spec 2002 with a short-neck differential. By now, however, more than a few long-neck differentials, along with their “long-neck subframes”, have been swapped for the more common — and readily available — short-neck versions. So... you really need to get under there and see what your car has today.

For a 2002 sub-model, either version would originally have been a 3.64. By shear odds, a random long-neck differential is more likely to be a 4.11, or a 4.10, than a 3.64. That’s because 1600-2’s (with 4.11’s or 4.10’s) were manufactured with long-necks from March 1966 until mid-January 1969 while 2002’s (with 3.64’s) were only manufactured with long-necks from December 1967 until mid-January 1969.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Hi guys. sorry I am not so sure my diff is the issue. The noise, or clacking could be something else...still investigating. Ras, I sent a sep message 

Steve, great info. my diff is not a long neck. I pulled it and cleaned and re-sealed it. I think it still leaks unfortunately, but as mentioned, not sure it's the issue...it looked super clean and the noise is intermittent - from what I understand if it WAS the diff making noise it would be all the time. But what do I know?

c

• Like 1

1969 Colorado Automatic (converted to 4spd)

1982 528e
1972 BMW R75/5

chuckrouthier.com