• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bumper Tuck, But

Fletcher

So I took the diving board bumpers off my 76 imagining I'd replace them with something form fitting and cool, but so far haven't arrived a solution and still have the diving boards sitting on the floor of the garage next to the car.  The cheapest solution would seem to be the bumper tuck I've read about here, but I really only want to do the rear bumper and wonder if that will look super wonky/lopsided?   Any pics of bumper deletes on the front with tucks on the rear, so I can see what this might look like and decide?   Thanks!

[Aside from simply liking the way the front of the car looks without the bumper, the whole drilling, squirting, inhaling noxious piston goo, hacking, wheezing and almost dying, etc didn't sound like that much fun ?]

Edited by Fletcher
typo

IIRC some folks have replaced the essentially straight front 02 diving board bumper with the V-shaped one from an E21.  They seem to fit, and even if not moved closer to the body by collapsing the pistons, they look closer since they better match the nose's sheet metal contours.

I'm sure there are pictures in the archives...

mike

• Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I am no help for the whole car pics (still running a front bumper). I do think an alloy bumper can look sexy. Of course its been chopped, tucked, stripped and polished. For fun run a single euro tag light and lose the (imo) pimple lights surrounding the plate.

Not the Purist

Bump Tuck Pau P.jpg

• Like 5

1976 02 in Granatrot Met. m42, 5sp. - Greta

Bite the bullet and do the proper bumper conversion, And while you are at it, delete the US spec side maker lights/reflectors. Square tail light cars look so much better after a Euro/early bumper conversion.

13230174_1405865609430962_7939840583216488232_n.jpg

• Thanks 1

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

I haven’t really thought of it as lopsided, but I think I get what you mean.  I would like to do a swap to the early bumpers too, but also can’t bring myself to spend the money.  I’d like to find a used set in decent condition, but even those are going for big money (almost as much as new) and are difficult to ship.  

i mocked up some tucked mounts w/ PVC with the intention of my brother welding up a set (instead of draining and compressing the originals) - been running them for a while now, and no rush to change anything - the rear looks naked without anything, but the front is cool

4F693C4E-0847-41FA-8C04-85B8FE369EAF.jpeg

772400E7-39B5-4754-9FBF-E62EFD3D1EDA.jpeg

29EB8405-296B-40FA-B519-17E2C1A99AA1.jpeg

84D5BDB4-5E71-4C68-9A23-774729ADBC43.jpeg

787A6471-61A6-4058-BB17-5A9751936B18.jpeg

• Thanks 1